Is it legal to name your child John/Jane Doe?

It would be a rather interesting name. But since it's used for unidentified people I wouldn't want to get arrested...

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Marie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you can name a child Rocket, racer, Moonshine, Rainbow, Apple or Tu morrow than you can name a child John or Jane Doe providing the childs last name is Doe.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't see legally why not. "John Smith" is also used that way, and there are lots of people with that name. You just have to give some thought about what this will do to the kid, going through life with that name.

I had a history teacher who wanted to name his second son the same as his first, which was his name: Robert. The nurse in the hospital kept telling him he couldn't do that, and I don't know if he actually did or not, but George Foreman has, I think, 5 sons all named George. I honestly don't think anyone can legally stop you.

• 1 decade ago

Of course it's legal but if your last name isn't already Doe then giving your kid a different last name might give them some kind of inferiority complex. But yea, that's just what they nickname unidentified people, they don't legally name them that.

• 1 decade ago

Uh...I don't think you'd get arrested for naming your child anything you want to name them. You could name it Crack-cocaine Smith and not get arrested. Ridiculous, I know...but so would be naming your kid John or Jane Doe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe the first name could be john or jane, and the middle name could be doe.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah you can do it

It would just be awkward if they ever became unidentifiable because of some mishap.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

DO IT! lol I think it is totally legal to name your kid whatever you want. first name-jane/john and middle name doe and than i don't think they can do anythin about it...

• 1 decade ago

I suppose you could if your surname was Doe... There is nothing wrong with it i guess, but people would be like, "Do you not remember your name or something?" And stare at you like a freak lol

lmao

interesting question :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you don't go with those names, how about S Dude. Someone is always blaming something on Some Dude. I didn't rob those banks, Some Dude did it. Some Dude had the gun, not me.

• OPAQUE
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

that's really interesting...

but I don't think any parents

would like to name their kid

after an unidentified person

hahaha :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.