Do you think a gas tax holiday is a good idea?

A study shows that the 18 cents a gallon you would save would cost the Hwy Depts. in all the states, billions of dollars and loss of 1000's of jobs. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080719/ap_on_go_co/ga...

I can't believe from the answer's that most have a total disregard for the billions of dollars lost needed for hwy. repairs, and total disregard for the 1000's who would lose their jobs,then collect from unemployment, that would cost millions, so they can get 30 bucks. This is whats wrong with the economy. it's called greed

Favorite Answer

No which is why I agree with Obama and him being against it this time around. While he thought it was a good idea while in IL as a State Senator, when he opposed it now, he said the cost of jobs did not make it worth it. It would just create a downward spiral with job losses, more people on welfare, more money the government would have to borrow to fund welfare, increase the deficit, more burden on we the American people, and it would just cycle and repeat.

He was right to label it a gimmick. I live in FL and i calculated that when I put 18 gallons of gas in my tank I would save enough to buy a 2 liter bottle of soda.

People think that the gimmick would have eliminated all the gas tax, but they would be wrong. It would only be on the federal gas tax.

What some people don't realize is that their gas tax in their home state might have gone UP because of loss in tax revenues thanks to the crappy real estate market

No. Obama is right to call the gas tax holiday a gimmick because that is what it is. McCain is trying to play the American people. Besides what we need is a long term solution. This may help for a short period of time when we fill up at the pump, but then it's over. Then what? It's like the economic stimulus plan. Sure, it was great getting that check, but that does not SOLVE the problem. Too many Americans will buy into these so called good ideas because it provides some sort of immediate relief. That is until the next month rolls around and you are right back where you were before.

Yes. If we have an increase in H1-B visa quotas for IT professionals and health professionals, why not include H1-B nuke-em quotas for highway workers? In fact, why have any quotas for any kind of workers? If that isn't enough workers, bring back chain-gangs. Put political advertising on the back of the prisoners while they chain-gang.

A tax holiday, family values, political slogans on the backs of the prisoners, elimination of Amnesty for illegals -- everybody is happy!

A gas tax holiday is a great idea the more I ponder on it.

• Pop D

No, it is a real joke and doesn't do anything to fix the real problem which is for Americans to wean themselves off of oil from the Middle east.

Hey,like the other writer said,better then nothing. You want nothing check the Dems plan...

ahhh the liberal media strikes again. However I still dont think it would mean anything...its just a way for McCain to grab votes...even I as a McCain supporter knows that.

Didn't "they" say that we would only save about $30 of the summer. I think it was a campaign ploy.

It's not the answer. But of course I would not mind it either. The answer is more refineries, more drilling......and I can even agree with you libs on conservation,alt energy,etc.

any cut in taxes is good, but Obama believes in tax and spend and also cut and run and the best farce hope and change and with this kind of thinking from the democrats don;t hold your breath/////

Better than the no plan of Obama