Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Does marijuana help tourettes?

My sister has very severe tourettes. She is 20 and is unable to work or provide for herself because of it. She still lives at home and has no social life besides her boyfriend which is she has run up her limit with im sure. I just wanted to know because i heard this one if marijuana or alchohol reduces tics?

Ive tried to be there and talk to her but i can only take so much of the loud screeching, i feel so bad about it. Her medication makes her sleep all day and lethargic unable to do anything.

We dont want to take risks on the brain sugery due to the very expensive cost, and her personal health

i dont want her to be a pot-head either i just wanted to know if this might be true please dont misinterpret my question

Favorite Answer

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/1...

http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/therapy/alternat...

Apparently The Issue Is Undecided. The Links Above Are Just A Few Of Many.

Officially, The General Medical Status Is NO, But There Are Isolated Cases Where It SEEMS To Work.

Wish I Had A Solid Answer For You. Sorry.

YES INDEED IT DOES!! I am 28 years old and have been suffering from TS since age 9. I've tried all medications, haldol clonidone, orap, xanax, ativan, valium. Nothing helped. I have muscle tics not vocals anyways. I use marijuana 3 X a day for my tourettes and anxiety and it calms it down 75% to where I don't have any urge to tic. In my state of Illinois. ..it is now legal to use marijuana for medical purposes for tourettes. So yes marijuana does help ease tourettes syndrome my

Yes it does help. The THC alleviated tourettes symptoms.

But it is hard to get a dr to prescribe medical marijuana. I have tourettes and my dr prescribed Clonodine. It really works! Tell her to talk to her dr about it.

Well marijuana is supposed to calm people down. Tics often occur due to some excitement and are reduced when the individual is in a calmer state of mind. So im guessing that if your influenced by marijuana, you would calm down and reducing tics

First: I would ask the doctor to switch medications.

And yes, in extreme cases, Marijuana (the medical kind), CAN help relieve the symptoms of tourettes.

Source(s): A Doctor who spoke to our Tourettes support group recently.

Yes, I have. Tourette's and when I smoke my high energy and aggression goes down lots. I don't have vocal tics but my mental and physical tics are put to rest :)!

• pete5 years agoReport

If you don't have vocal tics you don't have tourettes. The simple definition of tourettes is a person with lots of motor tics and at least one vocal tic

It seems like it would. I don't have tourettes, but I do have symptoms from time to time, and I have distant family members with it. Grass really mellows me out, and it's cool for that kind of situation. Idk about alcahol, though. NO CIGARETTES!!! I'm thinkin' you knew that, but the nicotine messes with people, man. Honestly, I've witnessed it first hand too many times in my life. Btw, pot is NON-addictive.

lol i thought i read TORTIS like the turtle hahahaa i would have said yea cause turtles are really slow and droopy. so it would help it

Sorry, but marijuana is illegal, so use a legal drug/alcohol. Make your sister go to the doctor also.

• Kevin6 years agoReport

and youre gonna base all your beliefs on what the government tells you? so you rather would your health at risk with synthetic medication which will more than likely be recalled due to bad side effects you have no idea of until 5-10 years down the road when the company is getting sued? MORON.

yes very much

did you also know it can kill brain cancer cells in the head