I'm going to Houston for a week, are there anythings I should specifically do or any places I should eat at?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I second Kyle A.'s suggestion to eat at Capt. Tom's. It has great seafood, very fresh.

In Galveston, do not miss having lunch at the Mosquito Cafe. It has been voted one of the top 15 restaurants in the Houston area. It's not high priced, it's casual, but oh the food. It's wonderful. I just recommended it to my boss who was going to Galveston for the weekend. He has thanked me on three separate occasions already.

For great Chinese food with great prices, an elegant atmosphere, and wonderfully prepared, fresh dishes, try Yao's at the corner of Gessner at Westheimer. Lunch specials start at $8.95, I know-WOW, and last until 4:00 PM, even on Sandays. It's owned by Yao Ming and his parents and has a special room with king-sized chairs for the basketball players.

For authentic, upscale gourmet Mexican food try Las Alamedas on I-10 at the Voss/Bingle exit. It's elegant with beautifully landscaped gardens and looks like a Spanish hacienda. It's perfect for pictures and the food is wonderful and the pricies are very reasonable. Great place and the service is impecable.

For a great breakfast try the Daily Grind in The Heights or the Breakfasr Klub, downtown.

Here are the websites:

http://www.mosquitocafe.com/

http://www.lasalamedas.com/catering.htm

http://www.yaorestaurant.com/

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-19068775R-ca...

http://cityguide.aol.com/houston/restaurants/daily...

http://www.thebreakfastklub.com/

Also, here's a running list I keep of things to do in Houston: (Pick out what you are interested in and get back to us for more detailed info.)

The Kemah Boardwalk

Reliant Center, Minute Maid Park, George R. Brown Convention Center

Houston Aeros, Texans, Comets, Astros, and the Rockets

38 outdoor public swimming pools in the Houston area

Galvestion Island - The Strand, the Bolivar Pennisular Ferry and Crystal Beach, Schlitterbahn Water Park, Bishop's Palace, Sea Wolf Park, Stewart Beach, Moody Gardens and IMAX, Mosquito Cafe, Pier 21 Museum on the Galveston Hurricane, The Lone Star Flight Museum, Texas Seaport Museum, Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig and Museum, and the Sea Turtle Exhibit

Hermann Park and the Mecom Fountain

Clear Lake, Lake Conroe, and Lake Houston

Brazos Bend State Park

The George Ranch

Miller Outdoor Theater (check online for performance schedule)

Discovery Green and the many other parks around town. They have horse and buggy rides.

The Katy Mills Mall, the Galleria, Memorial City Mall

The downtown underground tunnel system

Lakewood Church - an experience - the largest church in the nation

The Art Car Museum 140 Heights Blvd. 77007 (713) 861 - 5526 - It's FREE

Holocaust Museum 5401 Caroline St.77004 (713) 942-8000 Gen. Amd is FREE

Williams Tower and Water Wall and 3 acre park great for pics and picnics. They also have horse and buggy rides.

San Jacinto Monument and Battleground State Historical Park

The Houston Ballet Company, The Houston Opera, and the Houston Symphony

The Heights Gazebo and the Monthly Neighborhood Bazaar on Heights Blvd.

Houston Arboretum and Nature Center

Rothko Chapel

Port of Houston

The Houston Zoo - FREE on all city holidays

The 350 parks citywide (all types - hike & bike, skate, dog, tennis, & golf)

The Houston Zoo/Hermann Park TrainThe Houston Rodeo - in February each year - the world's largest

The Houston Ship Channel

Splashtown Waterpark near the Woodlands

The Houston Skyline in the morning, at night, and on the 4th of July

The Light Rail System

Imperial Holly Corporation - The mountain of sugar!

Houston Public Library System

Nasa Space Center

Old Town Spring

The Woodlands Water Taxi

The Children's Museum - Fantastic!

Over 23 museums in the Museum District

and over 40 museums city wide.

All the festivals held monthly in the city

For all the latest information on cultural events, go to artshound.com

Have fun!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The Downtown Aquarium is fun and the food is not too bad. Our new interactive park Discovery Green is cool.

We have some great Museums; Museum of Fine Art, The de Menil Collection, Contemporary Art Museum, The Museum of Natural Science has a beautiful live butterfly exhibit designed as a "cenote", a fabulous gem & mineral exhibit and IMAX films, Houston Museum of Contemporary Craft usually has a good show on too.

If you have time, NASA is worth the drive. Reserve the Level 9 tour.

If you have time, NASA is worth the drive.

You should go see the Rothko Chapel & The Byzantine Chapel, both near the de Menil.

The Galleria mall is a shopping heaven and HUGE with an ice skating rink in the middle.

We have sooo many incredible restaurants. What do you like to eat? We have good Mexican, Vietnamese, Sushi, Steak Houses, Seafood, Italian, French, Thai,Turkish, Greek, Chinese, Indian, & Morrocan to name a few so it's hard to choose. If you want a "special occasion" place, I would suggest Tony's.

• 1 decade ago

Well it depends on how old you are but downtown's Main Street is pretty fun if you're above 21. They have some fancy and casual places to drink and dine, including the oldest bar in Houston- La Carafe. If you aren't 21 yet, there is an area in downtown called Bayou place which has about 5 restaurants, and a movie theater and is right across from the theater district where the Houston Symphony and Houston Ballet performs.

If you like to go shopping i recommend going to the Galleria, or Rice village. Old town Spring is a little north of Houston and they have a bunch of cute shops and things to do.

There is Kemah which is a town about thirty minutes south east of Houston and its on the water. They have tons of places to eat, and they have attractions and rides including a brand new rollercoaster.

Space Center Houston is a must if you are visiting and is about 25 minutes away from downtown. (mcdonalds has half off admission coupons)

Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto monument (there at the same location). The San Jacinto Monument is just like the Washington monument, but bigger!

Since its summer, i recommend going to Galveston. Its about 50 minutes from downtown, but its worth it. The beach water isnt wonderful, but the street running along the beach is called the Seawall and there are tons of restaurants to eat at. I recommend one called The Spot. Its pretty casual. On the bay side of the island there is a shopping area called "The Strand" and they also have cutes shops and good places to eat, such as Luigi's, or Willie G's. You can even take a ride in a horse drawn carriage. The main street in Galveston is called "Broadway" and they have some mansions that lasted the 1900 galveston storms, such as Ashton Villa, Moody Mansion, and Bishops Palace all of which are gorgeous!

Houston also has tons of Museums...too many to list! but i liked Houston Museum of Natural Science.

Well, hope this helps!

Source(s): Born and raised in Houston.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you have access to a rental car, you should see Galveston, it's not that far, also Kemah boardwalk. Moody Center in Galveston.

Plenty of places to eat on Westheimer in Houston.

You did not say which area of Houston you will be in...

There's over 5 million people in the surrounding area of Houston, so it is hard to say where you should go, public transportation will not get you everywhere in Houston.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There is an aquarium and a huge mall called the galleria which i really like.You can also go to the tops of sky-scrapers and see the view of houston. They have a really good ice cream place, like cold stone creamery. I dont know the exact locations and names of a lot of the places so sorry this probably isnt that helpful =/

• 1 decade ago

I moved from Houston four years ago and the food I miss eating the most is a chili dog from James Cony Island.

You should definitely visit one of their locations. There are several in the Houston area. Just ask.

• 1 decade ago

There is every kind of restaurant from the world over in Houston. I doubt there is any kind of food that cannot be found there.

One of my local favorites is a small place called Capt. Tom's. There are three of them in the area. Great oysters, gumbo, and catfish. And pretty cheap too. There are other places called Captains, make sure you go to Captain Tom's.

I would also suggest going to Moody Gardens in Galveston.

• 1 decade ago

Whatever you do, have a plan, so you can stay in one area. The traffic is bad. But there's so much to do all over town, you can't get bored.

Find something you like to do, such as theater and museums downtown and go there.

For watersports head to Clear Lake or Galveston.

close to kemah boardwalk. Eat at TBone Tom's for a huge meal at lunch..

Try the quirky Heights art galleries and shops (Heights Blvd. @19th street )

Eat at the litle mexican restaurant at the corner of Main Street and Airline. Spanish Flower

Houston Zoo, it's ok. Close to:

Miller Outdoor Theater has free performances and you can picnic as you watch.

close to:

downtown museum district and

theater district

• 1 decade ago

So many places to see and great places to eat.

Williams Tower waterfall.

Bayou wildlife park in Alvin. You get up close to a

Texas longhorn with 65 pound horns and can feed him!!!

The Zoo!

Kemah Board walk ! Moody Gardens, Galveston,

Cafe Mesa on westheimer. Just drive down Westheimer

there are hundreds of restaurants here, okay thousands!

Ruggles cafe, cafe express,

goodness your in a food Mecca! Just go!

You'll love it! Just be careful if you're not a Houston driver

because they're not very patient!!!

• 1 decade ago

You need to eat at Frenchies Restaurant. It's where all the astronauts eat and there is TONS of astronaut stuff in there. If you get lucky, you might get to meet a few astronauts and get some autographs!!! You also need to meet Eileen Collins, the best astronaut in the world!!! She is such a nice lady and is very informative about the space program. Go Eileen!!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.