Advice on my dog?

I just rescued a German Shepherd from an animal shelter, and she is so wonderful and so sweet and good, but we think someone who owned her before abused her. She gets so scared and jumpy at loud noises and flinches like shes been abused before. And no one has ever played with her in her life, she just doesn't... show more I just rescued a German Shepherd from an animal shelter, and she is so wonderful and so sweet and good, but we think someone who owned her before abused her. She gets so scared and jumpy at loud noises and flinches like shes been abused before. And no one has ever played with her in her life, she just doesn't know how, she will run after a ball and get excited at a toy squeak, but she doesn't understand what to do with it, she won't put anything in her mouth because she doesn't know what the toys are, she doesn't understand what playing is. I don't know how to get her to understand its okay to grab toys, and I don't know how to reassure her that no ones going to hurt her and that loud noises don't mean she is being scolded.
Help please, I just want this for her so she can be as happy as can be.