Increasing free space; Local Disk (C:)?

I'm just wondering how I can get more free space.

I already deleted alot of files.. temporary files, disc clean up and defragmented it and I still have like 5.73GB - free space.

Someone help me please? :(

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Kim Z.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What size is the drive - total disk space? You can either save some of your data files to CD or purchase a larger hard drive.

• 1 decade ago

The only real practical thing you could do to free up a lot of space (as you seem to need not being happy with 5+GB) is backup your files and then remove them from your C: drive.

If you have a CD/DVD burner and a CD/DVD or more, you can burn you files onto them and then delete them from your C: drive. A typical CD holds 700 MB and a DVD holds something like 4.7 GB.

A flash drive (memory stick) would be the next cheapest alternative if you don't have a burner. They can hold quite a bit nowadays. You can either buy a large one and store a bunch of stuff on it, or buy a smaller one and use it to transfer files to another computer (if available).

If you really are desperate, as someone has said, you can go out and buy another hard drive. External hard drives are becoming very cheap for the amount of data they can hold, and usually don't require any installation. Internal hard drives are a bit cheaper, but require physical installation involving removing the computer case and are not portable.

Before you do any of this though, I suggest you try CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download.

It deletes a lot of unnecessary files (way more than ScanDisk or Disk Defragmentor).

Good luck.

• 6 years ago

To increase the hard disk space . At first you should install the essentials software for the PC and try observe the correct programs which is sutable for your pc and occupy low space in nthe gard disk which is safe,fast and reliable

Hope this help for you.

• 1 decade ago

5.73 GB is actually a decent amount, but if you really need more, then try compressing files.

To do that, right-click on a folder you want to compress. Go down to Properties. In the General tab, where it says "Attributes:" click Advanced.... Under "Compress or Encrypt attributes, check "Compress contents to save disk space." Click OK on both of the windows (if it asks if you want to compress only this folder, or subfolders and files, it means if you want to just compress this direct folder, or compress everything in this folder).

Usually you want the second one.

Hope this helps.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Delete stuff you no longer need/use Do a disk clean up (getting rid of Restore points is usually the biggest helper) (You could download CCleaner to do so) Uninstall programs you may no longer use.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't listen to this people if you are asking us this and not going to a professional it means you don't want to spend money the only thing i think could help if you don't want to spend money is going to start ,programs,accessories, system tools and disc clean up this will clean up your disk giving you more space

PS if you cant find disc clean up go to start search and look up disc clean up

Source(s): experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well if you have nothing left to delete, the only thing you can do is buy an external hard drive or a new hard drive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.