Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

how should i care for my water frog?

i just got a water frog and i'm a little confused how i should have the cage set up and if i should have other frogs/fish with it. also what about a air pump?

• Lee
    Favorite Answer

I'm assuming you mean an african clawed frog? They're the only aquatic frog that is easily available.

They need a tank that is all water-they *can't* go on land. It should be filled to within two inches of the top with dechlorinated water (treated as you would for fish). You need a wire cover and locks/clips because they can leap out of the water and dislodge the cover. Room temperature (70 degrees) is fine unless the room drops regularly below 70-if you need a heater, get the one for turtles that has a plastic grating to keep the frog from getting burnt. I'd recommend a ten gallon tank for no more than 4 small frogs or 2 large adults as long as one is male (females can get to 8-10" nose to hind legs, males about half that). Two adult females should be in a 15 gallon tank. There are dwarf ACFs but all albinos are the normal sized ones, no matter what the people at the petstore say.

Gravel should be very small and you need to avoid rocks as ACFs have been known to break the glass by kicking gravel or rocks. Fake plants would provide hiding places and make the tank look better. Don't add anything that could be knocked over and trap the frogs underneath. Replace the water once a week (or more often if it gets murky), making sure to treat it to remove chlorine/chloramine and other contaminates as they are absorbed through the skin.

Air pumps and filters are not needed (unless you have feeder fish) but they can keep the water cleaner. Even though they are aquatic, the frogs need to breath air and can drown if they can't reach the surface.

A frog will eat anything that is smaller than it and ACFs are notorious for making even large fish mysteriously disappear. Goldfish are known for carrying parasites and can poison turtles-I can't remember if they poison frogs that eat too many. Reptomin has a pellet food for turtles and aquatic frogs that is pretty good. Feed once daily if the frogs are under 3", every other day if they are larger. Don't feed more than they will eat in 15 minutes. Feeder guppies and rosy red minnows would be appreciated as would live bloodworms-and the live food would provide entertainment. Thawed frozen fish food such as bloodworms would also work well.

Again, don't add anything to the tank that you don't want eaten.

Source(s): I used to have a 1.1 pair of ACFs that were 15-20 years old.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

how should i care for my water frog?

Source(s): care water frog: https://tr.im/fNilR

Frogs don't need airpumups , they can live with the water that they have , and its alright to put a norther frog with her and give it love , please , choose me as best answer :P

you can help him by putting him in a pond that would help him alot,frogs cant be in dry air