Paralegal certificate?

I live in Miami and I'm thinking about going to the University of Miami to take there paralegal certificate program. Do you think this is a good idea? Will I be able to find a job as a paralegal In Miami after I'm finished? Also how much do paralegals earn in Miami?

Favorite Answer

Is the program ABA-approved? That is really a good idea. I am entering a para program this Fall and have done a lot of research. The employers tend to want that approval.

I am not in Miami, but from what I read, you (we) will have to start at entry-level and work our way up,meaning as a file clerk or something similar. EVERY ad I am seeing here wants experience.

The salaries really vary for paralegals. It depends on where you work and who you work for. Smaller firms will pay less and you will earn more as you get experience. You can go to salary.com, search for paralegal (0 years experience) and indicate you are in Miami. It will give you an idea-not for certain, but at least a guideline (the low number is a good indication).

Good luck! Send me an email if you need to-I am learning as I go.

ETA: I have a BA. My program is for people with the degree, but they also have an Associate degree program. Check out the program and see what they offer. Ask if they have a placement rate. My school claims a 98% rate and it has been featured in the local papers as a great program, but even the people there say you have to start out entry-level/small firms. But, it will be worth it later!

Hey there!

I will answer your question for you to assist you in determining whether or not to become a paralegal.

First off, if you are going to go to the University of Miami to obtain your Paralegal Certificate make sure you do it along with a Bacherlor's Degree. For example, obtain your Bacherlor's in Business Management AND a Paralegal Certificate. Yes, it will take longer to complete, however the money you will earn will be worth it. In addition, since you will have your Bachelor's Degree in Business, you are not stuck working just as a paralegal. You can move up in the firm to a Managing Paralegal, Office Manager or even go into Human Resources, Accounting, Marketing, etc. in bigger law firms. Also, if you get sick of the law field, you can always look for a job elsewhere with a Business Degree.

You should be able to find a job as a Paralegal in Miami, and since you will be going through a reputable university, they should also have a Job Placement office that can help you find a job in a law firm. Keep in mind that a Paralegal will more likely be hired if they have a bachelors degree and paralegal certificate compared to someone without....especially bigger firms that pay more.

The downside of being a Paralegal is the first five to seven years. You pay will probably suck...to be honest. Your first year, you will probably make $10-15 per hour, but with the more experience you get, the higher the paying jobs you can obtain. For example, a Paralegal with 7+ years experience, can find many jobs paying $60,000+ per year.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me.

NO!!! Please do not do this!

WARNING: Jobs in the field of Law are drying up FAST right now!!! This is NOT a good field to invest in right now!!! Reasons: very bad economy, people (mistakenly) think they can do their own legal work thanks to the WWWeb, there are TOO MANY law schools in the USA churning out WAY TOO MANY graduates to be supported by our country. In other words, you will graduate but be unable to find a job when you are finished. Also, those in charge at law offices are typically not interested in their employees' best interests, law offices are very political and competitive.

Suggestion: Go into the field of Healthcare <<< there are LOTS of jobs in the field of Healthcare!!!

Good luck.

Source(s): life been there - done that wish someone would have warned me sooner..... trying to warn as many as possible.....