How is DOSBox legal?

I really want to get this so I can play some freeware/shareware DOS games, but I'm not sure if it's totally legal. I'm a total legal freak so I need to know exactly that I won't get in trouble for getting it and why it's perfectly legal to work with.

Favorite Answer

Well, id Software, the original developers and publishers of Doom, have no problems with letting Valve sell their games on the Steam site with DOSBox as an integral part of the solution to getting their old games up and running on newer systems.

2K Games, publishers of the new Sid Meier's Railroads!, cooperated with the DOSBox team, when they released the old Railroad Tycoon Deluxe as a free download - with the game running inside DOSBox.

Sierra Entertainment used DOSBox to get their King's Quest Collection up and running.

Does that make it perfectly legal? I don't know - I am not a lawyer.

It's one of many programs that falls in to the gray area of the law, it has legal applications, and illegal applications. Using it to play games which you don't own or have no right to play is clearly illegal. On that same note your chances of getting caught bootlegging DOS games is slim to none because generally speaking those that own the rights to them are either a) no longer making money on the games or b) don't really give a ****. It would honestly be more cost effective for say Atari to just ignore the handful of people who steal DOS games than to pursue them legally. Many companies have been selectively giving up the rights to their older titles so that people can freely use and distribute them on arcade units actually.