How long in advance should we start preparing?

My husband and I are talking about getting pregnant for the first time! We're aiming for a due date of Aug/Sept '09 (I know summer isn't going to be great being prenant but it works best for us, school, jobs, etc). I've been starting to do some reading about being pregnant, healthy eating, etc but... show more My husband and I are talking about getting pregnant for the first time! We're aiming for a due date of Aug/Sept '09 (I know summer isn't going to be great being prenant but it works best for us, school, jobs, etc). I've been starting to do some reading about being pregnant, healthy eating, etc but I really haven't come across much that talks about the months leading up to the pregnancy.

So, I'm wondering how much time it normally takes to prepare. I'm on the pill so I'll have to stop taking that. I've already started to get more physically active and eating healthier. But what about things like doctors appointments and other things that should be done prior to getting pregnant. Any suggestions or thoughts on how we can prepare prior to getting pregnant would be great. Thanks a lot!!