Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Isn't McCain Being Not "Elitist", Similar to the Pope's "Vow of Poverty"?

Thanks imacatholic2, a Violation In Spirit and Not the Word?

Favorite Answer

There are two types of Catholic priests:

A religious priest is ordained into a religious order like the Society of Jesus (Jesuit) or Franciscans. He receives duty assignments from superiors in their respective religious orders. Some religious priests specialize in teaching, whereas others serve as missionaries in foreign countries, where they may live under difficult and primitive conditions. Other religious priests live a communal life in monasteries, where they devote their lives to prayer, study, and assigned work. These priests take vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience.

A diocesan priest is ordained to serve in a specific geographical area (called a diocese). He ministers under the leadership of a bishop, and will more than likely serve as a parish priest. These priests take vows of chastity and obedience but not poverty.

The Pope was ordained as a diocesan priest and has not taken a vow of poverty. By the way, the Pope does not receive a salary.

With love in Christ.

Funny.... but yeah you could make that argument. Personally, I think ALL politicians are elitists so one calling the other one is just ridiculous.

McCain should just avoid using that word. It make him sound like a hypocrite.

Let's face it, federal politicians play by different rules than the rest of us. I am not making a complaint... this is not about good or bad. It is just a fact.

• Hahhahahaaaahhahaaaa.

McCain is worth 6.5 million dollars.

I wish I could take that kind of vow!

No.

I don't see how you can even remotely imply that someone who has gone through so much and served his country in so many way could be an elitist.