Tanya asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

what do you thnk about generic drugs?

what do you thnk about generic drugs and about generic on-line pharmacies?

• Andy
    Favorite Answer

Generic drugs have the same chemical formulation for the ACTIVE ingredients as do the Brand name drugs. However, the absorption of any drug depends on the other ingredients contained in the pill/capsule. The patents on these ingredients do not expire, while the patents on the active ingredients do, allowing other companies to make the drug much cheaper (since they never had the expense involved in the research and development of a drug). For some medications the vehicle (the ingredients which determine absorption of the drug) is very important and therefore the Brand name drug is superior. Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive list of drugs that gives the relative bioavailability of generic/brand name drugs. Which brings us to the second part of your question. Generic on-line pharmacies are reliable. But the benefit of having a local pharmacist to fill you prescriptions is that a GOOD pharmacist should be able to determine if the Brand name drug is superior to the generic drug.

Source(s): I'm a neuropharmacologist

Generic drugs are the same as name brand, only cheaper.

On-line pharmacies are legal in the States provided your medical information is reviewed by a US licensed physician and the prescription is filled by a US licensed pharmacy. It's really not that different than a physician calling in a script for you to the local drugstore.

• 2D

If it weren't for generic drugs, I'd spend my entire salary on my family's medications. 2D

Im bad I always buy name-brand... even know I know there the same.