Should Texas secede and become the newly sovereign Lone Star Republic?

I know that Texas would be the 12th largest economy in the world on its own GDP. I'm not saying we should isolate ourselves, but rather bring governmental decisions closer to home where the government will more efficiently respond to Texans' needs and our taxes would be for us. We could join NAFTA and still... show more I know that Texas would be the 12th largest economy in the world on its own GDP. I'm not saying we should isolate ourselves, but rather bring governmental decisions closer to home where the government will more efficiently respond to Texans' needs and our taxes would be for us. We could join NAFTA and still trade with Mexico, USA, and Canada as well as other countries. Plus, we seceded from Mexico because we didn't think it was best for us to remain there. With the economy how it is today, maybe Texas can choose its own destiny much better than some politicians in DC who have to care about the nation as a whole and then there's all the bipartisan problems in the DC govt. As for the borders, we could set up something like the EU where we keep our sovereignty (stolen by the fed. govt. now) but allow people to come and go. Who knows, maybe we'll expand our borders...Lone Star Republic has a nice ring to it...doesn't it? (Anyone ever watch Jericho? It renewed my sense of Texan nationalism)
Update: Oh, and has anyone ever noticed those billboards on the interstates in TX (I have I live here and there are quite a few...) that say some fact about what makes Texas special compared to other states? They're like deep blue in color and have some quote like: First word spoken from the moon: "Houston."... show more Oh, and has anyone ever noticed those billboards on the interstates in TX (I have I live here and there are quite a few...) that say some fact about what makes Texas special compared to other states? They're like deep blue in color and have some quote like: First word spoken from the moon: "Houston." Then right below the quote every billboard has "Texas. Our Texas." on it. I almost want to salute those things...next time I'm abroad and someone asks where I'm from I will say I'm a Texan.
Update 2: Because Texas was forced back into the Union at gun point, secession will always be an option, but I think many people today forget or refuse to believe that. I know it sounds farfetched and sometimes I think it would be hard for it to happen, but what if...let's just dive into that thought. The US can do... show more Because Texas was forced back into the Union at gun point, secession will always be an option, but I think many people today forget or refuse to believe that. I know it sounds farfetched and sometimes I think it would be hard for it to happen, but what if...let's just dive into that thought. The US can do their thing and we'll do ours (politically), but economically specialization will lead to more gains from trading.

Most people will just jest and suggest we take other states with us, or how we should keep Bush though he is not Texasn so he would need be to naturalized but an international agreement could be reached. These comments can be humorous and are welcome but hopefully some folks (especially other Texans) can provide some insightful input.
Update 3: Well, were they Texan jobs? haha. Plus, in the long run, outsourcing makes consumers in the country where it occurred and where the destination was better off. This has to do with the fact of increased specialization and the gains from trade due to that. Both countries are better off in outsourcing. In the short... show more Well, were they Texan jobs? haha. Plus, in the long run, outsourcing makes consumers in the country where it occurred and where the destination was better off. This has to do with the fact of increased specialization and the gains from trade due to that. Both countries are better off in outsourcing. In the short term, wages and jobs do decrease, but what's important is the long run. Specialization leads for us to use more resources more efficiently at something we're better at and the jobs that were outsourced provide more income to foreigners who will in turn buy more of our goods and invest in our companies. Trust me, I have my econ book right next to me and I'm on my way for a minor in Economics (this is my junior year in college)
Update 4: Well France and Germany seem to do very well and they are sovereign countries that are part of an economic union. Maybe we can work out a compromise like that?