What is the politically correct term for "retarded"?

Favorite Answer

Many answers have included the word "disabled." No doubt there are subscribers of a more delicate sensibility than ours who swooned away. The expression is "Differently abled," Darlings.

Isn't this a pile of crep? What used to be plain good manners and consideration has turned into a melee where people pride themselves on their ability to be offended at anything. They base their whole identities upon it - just as non-smokers did when smoking was the norm. (I wonder what they do for martyrdom now.)

It is in the interest of people who suffer from treatable abnormalities to have their condition described in as straight-forward terms as possible in order that related professionals all see things the same way.

The retarded person is unlikely to know what the word means - much less be offended by it. True, the parents may be put out, but if they are more interested in the child's welfare than their own social status, then say it like it is!

• Actually many children who have intellectual disabilities or are differently abled do understand what retarded means. That is an extremely ignorant and offensive thing to say. This is coming from someone who is friend's with someone with down syndrome, so don't assume what you don't know.

Politically Correct Term For Retarded

Politically Correct Word For Retarded

I think there was a time that the word, 'retarted'. Was socially accepted, until it had been misused like, today.

I know that in music, the word, 'ritard', means slow or to slow down. So it is not originally an insult. It is just kind of a broad word. It would be more polite to be detailed, though. If the special diagnoses is unknown, you could use a phrase like this of some sort: "he/she is challenged socially, mentally, physically, slow, dependent on, independent with limits."

I would have to say that I do not have a definite answer. But am sure I am very close.

CITED

retarded. Dictionary.com. WordNet® 3.0. Princeton University. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retarded (accessed: July 17, 2008).

A Thesaurus or a medical term resource may help.

The people responding who fein offense can't even seem to spell retarded.

Retarded is essentially "underdeveloped" and is generally accurate. At this point, the USA has slipped tremendously in worldwide education and it would even be accurate to call the nation retarded. The term is fine. The issue is people get offended because others will use the term as an insult. Reality is any replacement phrase will eventually be used as an insult too because KIDS ARE KIDS. Yet, we lose the ability to use proper terminology. For example, African American is a racist replacement term. It teaches others to make actual assumptions based on skin color. Blacks are not inherently Americans. If you are really a racist, then you will make a point to associate the phrase African American with insult. Non-racists now can no longer use the term black, now having to defer to this racist term. I say use the term retarded when it's correct and ignore the undereducated PC crowd.

• Ricki6 years agoReport

Black refers to more than just those whose ancestors were stolen from Africa. It is an encompassing term, and is certainly PC.

• Nancy

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ndv2f

I'm black dude. The black people that haven't been brainwashed by this PC bullsh*t will tell you straight up that they are black. Too many freedom fighters fought long and hard to make sure that this word was not something to be ashamed of. Now some white liberal or a sold out black "leader" wants to turn back the hands of time and make black a shameful word again. It's ironic the way history repeats itself. Read leslienicole01's answer. It proves my point. I won't give her a thumbs down, but it proves my point exactly.

• elf4 years agoReport

I'm white and I can tell you that I live in an extremely diverse area. I can also tell you that my Black American born friends take high offense when referred to as African American.

I think the problem with the term "retarded" came in when (some, 40 years ago) people started to use the words "retard" or, "'tard" as a pejorative equating it with "stupid" or, "ignorant". Further, when the words tard and retard are used, it is in an abusive or mocking way.

I live in Madison, WI... one of the most PC cities in the USA. I was born here and I can't say "xyz" without some pseudo-intellectual jumping down my throat for offending, not him, but someone who he's standing up for.

I'll give you a for-instance... while cooking some hotdogs with friends, I referred to the Hebrew National hotdogs (which I had purchased) as "Jew dogs". WOW. I thought I was going to be stoned to death.

• Tigger

Mentally Challenged

• loved1

Mentally handicapped

Mentally challenged

Learning impaired

Special

• spot a

Intellectually challenged. Retardation is not a mental illness, just a handicap