how can we get help with paying a full security deposit while dealing with section 8 in richmond virginia.?

MY MOM JUST GOT HER SECTION 8 VOUCHER IN RICHMOND VA. SHE FOUND A HOUSE. BUT THE LANDLORD IS WAITING ON HER TO PAY HER SECURITY DEPOSIT. HOW CAN SHE GET HELP WITH PAYING THE WHOLE $1200.00? PLEASE HELP US OUT.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He is not going to wait very long.

If she is disabled section 8 will pay 1/2 of her deposit.

Otherwise maybe she can have a garage sale this weekend.

The landlord will want someone in there by the 1st, so she needs to come up with something.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Section 8 Security Deposit

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You are required to pay that yourself. You are also required to pay 30% of your monthly income in rent, and pay your own utilities. Section 8 is a housing assistance program, not free rent. You are required to work a minimum of 32 hours a week. Save up for your deposit, utility deposits, etc. You can often find a place with cheaper rent if you go for a smaller apartment on the private market. E.g. renting a studio is cheaper than a 1 BR, etc.

• 1 decade ago

some landlords let you pay 1/2 the first month and 1/2 the second. I am disabled and section 8 has NEVER helped me pay my deposit.. I have never heard of that.. I would talk to the landlord and tell him/her that money is tight and that can you split the deposit up since you have to pay the utility dep, phone dep, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I have section 8 and they won't help you pay the security deposit. Also tell her to go to the local department of social services and try to get assistance from them, as long as she doesn't make a lot of money they Will help her.

Source(s): look on the websites dss.virginia.state.org and rrha.org
  • 1 decade ago

maybe stop partying, cancel your internet and start saving?

harsh, I know, but you need to have your priorities straight, especially because you are being helped out with section 8. Help yourself and work/save your money.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.