What are the odds of me getting TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) when using tampons?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

( Sorry this is so long, it is an important topic)!

Chances of getting TSS is very low if you are taking all the right precautions when using tampons. Make sure you are not using higher than needed absorbency, the more absorbent the greater the risk, it may be related to a "drying" of the vagina, as well tampons contain things such as artificial fibers like rayon which causes added issues. Change them OFTEN, do not reuse them and watch for signs of TSS and if you have any go directly to your Dr. TSS signs include, sudden fever (102 degrees or more), vomiting, diarrhea, flu-like symptoms, fainting, dizziness, and/or a red rash on the body.

**FACT

Men, women and children can get toxic shock syndrome, for example following burns, boils, insect bites or infections after surgery. About half of the reported cases are linked to women who use tampons; the other half are not.

That said about TSS, there are MANY other health issues to consider when deciding to use tampons, ( and pads however pads are not inside us), many women are not aware of other health effects, they can however be as serious as TSS. Tampons contain many harmful ingredients, fillers, chemicals...these include aluminum, alcohols, fragrance additives and hydrocarbons and worse yet the chlorine bleaching process creates dioxins. Chlorine, in laundry, swimming pools, or in tampons, breaks down into a deadly chemical called dioxin. Dioxin is one of the most dangerous chemicals on the planet and literally a tablespoon [of it] would kill everyone on the planet,)...Dioxin has been proved to cause cancer and Endometriosis, fibroids (growths in the uterus), pelvic inflammatory disease, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

The effects of the dioxin can be measured as much as 20 to 30 years after exposure, its the cumulative effect that is the cause for concern as it is said that the average woman can use as many as 11 to16 thousand tampons in her menstrual lifetime

Though manufacturers say it is not detectable levels and that they are now produced using elemental chlorine-free or totally chlorine free bleaching processes which does not produce dioxins in levels harmful to people, many study's say otherwise. The FDA has not conducted its own tests to draw definite conclusions one way or the other and has not called for testing of potential dioxin levels in tampons, as well it does not require package warnings. Fibers like Rayon cause tiny cuts and can embed pieces into the vaginal/cervical tissue.

A much safer alternative is using unbleached cotton tampons and pads, there are several on the market. Please read up on all the issues concerning what to use and make your own informed decision. While its true dioxins and chemicals are present in many things, why add another to the list of what is getting into your body, especially in such an intimate place, when there are other safer alternatives to use. Here are some helpful links with great info! There is also a list of good products and alternatives.

Good luck, hope some of this helped.

Source(s): Causes of Toxic Shock Syndrome http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_condition_info_det... The question's absorbing: 'Are tampons little white lies?' http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2003/10/10-14... The trouble with tampons http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1594/is_5_1... SAFER OPTIONS TO (*STANDARD) TAMPONS http://www.tamponalert.org.uk/akta/alt.htm
  • 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

Toxic Shock Syndrome Statistics

• 1 decade ago

You have more possiblities with the scented ones. I have a 12 year old staying with me right now that just went tothe hospital for tss from using the scented ones. Just change it every few hours. I have been using tampons for 18 years and never have gotten it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

If you have problems with uterine fibroids you then need Fibroids Miracle by Amanda Leto from here https://tr.im/bUKsv .

Fibroids Miracle is the most popular natural process that can help you remove your uterine fibroids fast and safely.

The Fibroids Miracle system by Amanda Leto is an all natural therapy that tackles the main cause of your Uterine Fibroids and not just the symptoms.

In Fibroids Miracle system you won't discover tips for severe prescription medications with nasty negative effects and unlike several normal therapies for fibroids which are somewhat unrealistic or excessively challenging, Amanda Leto's Fibroids Miracle book provides a highly realistic program which is often integrated in to your everyday life.

• 1 decade ago

o wow i remember i used to be terrified of using them I really didn't even like the idea. But the odds of getting TSS are so dramatically low (it only happens if you are extremely careless) and the convenience and comfort far outweight the statistical 0.000015% chance of getting it (thats fifteen out of a million).

just don't be afraid to try it once you know? and if, after this period, you decide you really dont like them, thats just fine becaue its your decision. but if you're not willing to even try them you never know if you would end up loving them.

(and I read your other question, about the pool one, and seriously it's worth it to just be brave and use one every now and then because that way you don't have to miss out on fun things because you're on your period and also its really not sanitary or polite to swim in a pool when youre on your period and you're not doing anything about it)

• 4 years ago

Fibroids, also called uterine leiomyomas, are extremely common non-cancerous muscular tumors of the uterus. About 80 percent of women develop this problem by the age of 50. Learn here https://tr.im/J24VB

The exact cause of uterine fibroids is still not known. Factors like genetics, abnormalities in the blood vessel or vascular system, hormones and other growth factors play an important role in the development of fibroids.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Apparently if you leave it in too long it could happen, but it's a very rare sickness. I HATE using pads, so I change my tampons frequently and I wear them 24/7. Been doing it for about 8 years, haven't gotten it yet :) Just make sure you change them lots.

• 4 years ago

u only get it from using a tampon over 6-8 hours so don't worry. just change it every 4-5 hours

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Very low. The composition of them has changed to make them safer over the years. But it still isn't a good idea to leave them in all day. Meaning, not changing it all day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.