Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jehovah's Witnesses why do you insert the word "Son" into the scripture at Acts 20:28?

The word "Son" does not appear even ONE TIME in any New Testament Greek manuscript.

New World Translation

28 Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed YOU overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own [Son].

Do you think it is acceptable to insert WORDS into the Bible that are not found in the original Greek Manuscript's?

How does it read in the King James?

28Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Update:

Lisa we are so happy for you !!!

The Holy Spirit opened our eyes to the real TRUTH. We were also blinded at one time. God Bless You !!!

Love Your Brother in Christ.

Update 2:

wynner01 THANK YOU !!!

GOD BLESS YOU.

Update 3:

I am on the Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site http://watchtower.org/e/bible/index.htm

I can not believe my eyes !!! Look at all the scriptures they have twisted !!!

It's very important that we pray for them.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

I remember reading the official WTS explanation on that...

It basically came down to "well, we don't like what that implies, so we're gonna assume that it must have been blood of his own, as in blood of his closest kin."

And they claim to be the first ones to create a bible without a bias! Please!

Oh, look! Here's the article:

Apendix 6C With the Blood of God’s Own Son

Ac 20:28—Gr., διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ ἰδίου

(di·a′ tou hai′ma·tos tou i·di′ou)

1903 “with the blood of His own Son” The Holy Bible in

Modern English, by

F. Fenton, London.

1950 “with the blood of his own [Son]” New World Translation

of the Christian Greek

Scriptures, Brooklyn.

1966 “through the death of his own Son” Today’s English

Version, American Bible

Society, New York.

---- GRAMMATICALLY, this passage COULD BE TRANSLATED as in the King James Version and Douay Version, -----

--- “WITH HIS OWN BLOOD.” ----

----THAT HAS BEEN DIFFICULT FOR MANY. ---

Read: "We don't LIKE it!!!

article continued:

That is doubtless why ACDSyh (margin) (followed by Moffatt’s translation) read “the congregation of the Lord,” instead of “the congregation of God.” When the text reads that way it furnishes no difficulty for the reading, “with his own blood.” However, אBVg read “God” (articulate), and the USUAL TRANSLATION WOULD BE 'GOD'S BLOOD.'

Countdown to excuses..... 3......2......1:

aticle continued:

The Greek words τοῦ ἰδίου (tou i·di′ou) follow the phrase “with the blood.” The entire expression could be translated “with the blood of his own.” A noun in the singular number would be understood after “his own,” most likely God’s closest relative, his only-begotten Son Jesus Christ. On this point J. H. Moulton in A Grammar of New Testament Greek, Vol. 1 (Prolegomena), 1930 ed., p. 90, says: “Before leaving ἴδιος [i′di·os] something should be said about the use of ὁ ἴδιος [ho i′di·os] without a noun expressed. This occurs in Jn 111 131, Ac 423 2423. In the papyri we find the singular used thus as a term of endearment to near relations . . . . In Expos. VI. iii. 277 I ventured to cite this as a possible encouragement to those (including B. Weiss) who would translate Acts 2028 ‘the blood of one who was his own.’”

Alternately, in The New Testament in the Original Greek, by Westcott and Hort, Vol., 2, London, 1881, pp. 99, 100 of the Appendix, Hort stated: “it is by no means impossible that ΥΙΟΥ [hui·ou′, “of the Son”] dropped out after ΤΟΥΙΔΙΟΥ [tou i·di′ou, “of his own”] at some very early transcription affecting all existing documents. Its insertion leaves the whole passage free from difficulty of any kind.”

The New World Translation renders the passage literally, adding “Son” in brackets after ἰδίου to read: “with the blood of his own [Son].”

Source(s): Truth about the NWT. Appendix 6 C.
  • 1 decade ago

Many non-Witness Biblical scholars have problems with Acts 20:28. The New World Translation doesn't leave its readers in the dark.

There is an appendix for this verse. They explain what is found in the Westcott and Hort Greek text, on which the NWT is based. They explain that Westcott and Hort thought perhaps this verse contains an early scribal error, something not unheard of among textual critics. They also explain that several ancient Greek manuscripts say the "congregation of the 'Lord,'" not the "congregation of 'God.'"

With those facts in mind, the NWT translators decided to translate the verse they way they did.

Myself, I would translate this verse with the "congregation of the Lord" reading. But that's just me. I do work with the Greek, and study textual criticism.

If you really understood the science of textual criticism, then you'd understand that this really isn't a big deal. People are making too much fuss over it.

• 1 decade ago

Greek Interlinear says.

take heed therefore, to yourselves and to all the flock, in which you the Spirit - Holy placed overseers, to shepherd the church - of God, which he purchased through his own blood.

That's word for word translation of the Greek. They cannot translate it with the extra word son, but this doesn't stop them.

They put the blinkers on and accept what their organization says on the matter and blindly follow. They refuse to see what is plain to see. Just because their leaders say so. Such blindness, such deception.

Only God can open their eyes and free them.

They refuse to answer questions and say wait until a pioneer comes to your door, or refer you to their site online. That's how they are trained to deflect difficult questions, because they cannot answer them. Their either won't answer of will refer you somewhere else and thus avoid answering.

• 1 decade ago

JB reads: “Be on your guard for yourselves and for all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you the overseers, to feed the Church of God which he bought with his own blood.” (KJ, Dy, NAB use similar wording.) However, in NW the latter part of the verse reads: “the blood of his own [Son].” (TEV reads similarly. Although the 1953 printing of RS reads “with his own blood,” the 1971 edition reads “with the blood of his own Son.” Ro and Da simply read “the blood of his own.”)

Which rendering(s) agree with 1 John 1:7, which says: “The blood of Jesus his [God’s] Son cleanses us from all sin”? (See also Revelation 1:4-6.) As stated in John 3:16, did God send his only-begotten Son, or did he himself come as a man, so that we might have life? It was the blood, not of God, but of his Son that was poured out.

I think that would explain why

Good day!

Addtl: That question had been asked by many hundred times. There are still other verses in the NWT bible which are questioned by many. But don't worry there are answers to that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The New World Translation reinterprets this to make it appear that the church was purchased not by God's blood but by Jesus'. The reason not a single standard translation renders the text this way is because there is not a single Greek manuscript that contains the word "Son" in this verse. The Watchtower society has absolutely no reason other than deception to insert the word Son in this verse. As for Jesus being God, we also have Romans 9:5, Col. 2:9, and Titus 2:13 that tell us Jesus is God.

God bless!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually, "Son" is enclosed in brackets [Son] There are other places the NWT has words in brackets. One notable place is in Colossians chapter 1

The foot notes of the NWT (which is fully supported by literal satanic bibles) state that "other" was added to clarify the scripture. This says to be that they believe GOD was too stupid to say what HE meant! Oh I know that most of the JW's have been deceived into thinking this does clarify it but if we notice that they have to ADD to the Word of the LIVING GOD to clarify their doctrine in so many places, I have to wonder why. Other does NOT clarify anything...it CHANGES the meaning totally just as it does in Acts 20:28 where it tell us that GOD HIMSELF purchased our salvation with HIS own blood. Other does not clarify it...it changes the Word of GOD!

13 He delivered us from the authority of the darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of his love, 14 by means of whom we have our release by ransom, the forgiveness of our sins. 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist, 18 and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that he might become the one who is first in all things; 19 because [God] saw good for all fullness to dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile again to himself all [other] things by making peace through the blood [he shed] on the torture stake, no matter whether they are the things upon the earth or the things in the heavens.

Kim: Jehovahs Witnesses in the one true religion, that's why it is called THE TRUTH

Then do you agree that Russia had the truth?

Pravda (Russian: Правда, "The Truth") was a leading newspaper of the Soviet Union and an official organ of the Central Committee of the Communist Party between 1912 and 1991.

They said they had the TRUTH and just like the WT, they blocked any attempt the free world made to educate the Russian people. It was illegal for them to listen to things like Radio Free Europe but they were encouraged to spread their propaganda, just as you are told now.

Kim, come out from behind the Watchtower Curtain and find REAL TRUTH and REAL FREEDOM in JESUS CHRIST!

E-mail me and I will show you how to find this freedom and NO ONE will know

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

God bless you for trying..There are so many other scriptures that they have added or taken away and twisted the entire meaning. Its very very wrong..I know many JW's that have grown up in that religion and have been JW's for 40 or more years. The only Bible they ever read is the NWT..so many have no idea that their Bible is different. I know I didn' t know it for many years..Now I do..and now I am no longer a JW's..but a born again Christian.

EDIT..Thank you..I keep praying for them..I know they love God very much. I have no doubt about that, but they are mislead and are missing something so beautiful about the real Gospel. The truth shall set you free...That sums it up doesn' it..I am happy too for you guys.

• 1 decade ago

Kim and other JW's...You misinterpret the Bible, when you say the Jw's are the one true religion, and that's why it's called THE TRUTH !!! Anyone who studies the Bible knows that the words THE TRUTH refer to Jesus, not to your religion!

The true church of God, are all the individuals in the world, who follow Christ, the Son, and they can come from anywhere, any religion, and we cannot say that there is one true church, and believe that Jesus is not the Son of God.

Step outside the organization, and really study for yourself, without anyone elses false interpretations, what "The TRUTH" really is!!!

Source(s): The Bible
  • I am not JW, (past or present), but was the original Hebrew not Greek? (Hebrew; Matt. 27:46, Acts 21:40, 22:2).

• 1 decade ago

Not surprized !

Just disappointed and sad that they do this to the word of G_d.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.