Why can't my tires rotating create electricity to run my car?

If a windmill turbine can create power, why can't my car create power when the wheels are turning and store it in a battery to run my car continuously?

Best Answer

because that's what the engines for, if you attach more generators to your wheels you will lose gas mileage, IDK I'm just guessing

• CT

Windmills run on wind and therefore isn't perpetual energy. What you are implying is that your car should have perpetual energy. The purpose of the alternator is to create electricity so you can use the car's electric starter to start the car or in the case of a hybrid to make electricity to be stored in the battery for the hybrid engine to use.

If you like you can try putting more alternators on your car to make more electricity but you'll find that in the end you will waste gas and your engine will be bogged down by the additional work which will make the car slower.

I like the idea of using electromagnetic energy to regenerate batteries that power electric cars. Windmills use it - why not apply the windmill theory to wheels and not just in braking? Sure you will have losses but you will also recharge the battery even more making the vehicle less dependent on gas. Add some solar and now it is even more dependable. Hybrid technology is in its infancy and we will see greater ideas in the near future but people have to be open to brainstorming.

Whenever energy is converted from one form to another there are losses that cannot be recovered.

Also, perpetual motion is not possible due to these irreversible losses.

So basically you cannot get something for nothing, energy-wise.

However, maybe you are thinking about regenerative braking. The idea is rather than throw away the energy of braking -- converting the kinetic energy of the car to heat energy -- instead you slow down the car by turning a generator and storing the energy in a battery, to be used later when accelerating. (My Prius does this every time I step on the brake pedal and I consistenly get >50 mpg around town.)

That's what I was thinking for the last 3 months! An electric car where when the tires turn, and there's a generator to keep the battery from running out!

Tires can generate electricity to run your car.

http://www.ecopedia.com/technology/tires-generate-...

More than two ways to create electricity with your car tires.

The article above tells about 2 working models that do generate electricity from the tires. I woke up tonight thinking about this. Was hoping I could invent them.. oh well. only 14 years to late.

This page (you are reading) and the link I provided (above) were at top of Bing.com for the search term "tires generate electricity".

It would cause some drag on the wheels which would lead to more fuel consumption.

There is no free power to be had in this way.

With electric cars this is done, when you brake.

or slow down . Then it wont go lost on heat but on electric energy.

• Momsey

Your alternator does just that. That is how your car battery is being charged.

because it would revolutionize the energy industry and the rich and powerful might lose their grip.