What Christian principles was the United States founded on?

Update:

Sacred W: I'm not deriding Christians. I just noticed in another question that someone said that the US was founded on Christian principles and I was wondering which ones they were.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

None. Simple. No Christian principles at all.

I notice one of the persons responded with the heterosexual marriage laws.

Saying those laws are Christian is like saying that Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists do not follow similar ideas themselves. Actually, at the time the USA was founded gay marriage was legal nowhere in the world. So saying this is a Christian principle illogically implies that Jews, Muslims or Buddhists do not have simliar ethical standards that are equal or even exceed [Buddhists] that of Christians by a long shot.

In actuality the USA wasn't founded on ANY Christian principles as the general moral principles of Christianity are not unique at all and found in most religions of the world even the ancient pagan religions.

The 44 negative statements of the deceased to the god Osiris on judgment day reveal a higher quality of ethic for the ancient Egyptians than possessed by the ancient Israelites.

These are described in the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Here's a passage from the Dhammapada "If a man were robbed by thugs and they cut off his arms and legs with a saw and this person had hatred in his heart this man could not be my disciple."

It appears the Buddha's ethic was almost identical to Jesus'.

I could say if I wanted to that the USA was founded on Buddhist principles and if you were right in saying it was Christian principles I would also be right.

In actuality the USA was created a secular state with religious freedom granted to all including the freedom to NOT follow a religious path. Dr. Billy Graham, bless his soul, actually has the guts to tell the truth unlike liars like Robertson who deceive the public with lies that the founding fathers intended the USA to be a Christian state like Afghanistan was a Muslim state under the Taliban.

Avoiding situations like created by the demented Taliban is exactly WHY the founding fathers created the constitution the way they did.

Here is a legally binding document used by the Supreme Court as setting a legal precedent.

Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

If you had ever bothered to read anything written by Jefferson [deist], or Adams [deist] or Franklin [a reincarnationist once] or George Washington [nominalist] you'd find that the modern type fundamentalist Christian was a character completely ABSENT from the group of founding fathers. NOT ONE was a fundamentalist or Biblical literalist. There were a few who could be called Christians but their common sense overruled their faith and they knew like Jefferson et. al. that Christianity is good if a personal thing and BAD as a state institution.

So the answer is once again: NONE, no Christian principles at all.

In fact, where we have a gross violation of Church State separation is the stupid and superstitious custom of swearing oaths on a King James Bible, a custom not created by the Founding Fathers but lifted directly from English Common Law.

Instead of creating a new system of laws in the newly established States, they instead borrowed most of the English Common Law [only SIX felonies existed in it compared to the 100 zillion felonies that exist now] pretty much as is and the customs of the British court to a great deal since it was easier to adopt existing culture than totally eradicated the old and create something new.

The USA is not today a Christian Nation, it was NEVER before a Christian nation, it was NEVER intended to be Christian State, and will NEVER so help me me be a Christian State.

Besides, the logic that Christian principles are things like don't steal, don't murder, don't rape, don't beat up old ladies makes the hidden implication that the other faiths of the world and the freethought community [athesists, agnostics, the secularists, the non-religious people] lack ethics of this type.

In reality, ALL cultures of the world have laws against murder, rape, theft etc. They disagree greatly on the punishment, but are in general agreement as to general ethics around the world.

Muslims don't allow gay marriage so is America's anti-gay marriage stance in the past based on Islam? I think not.

Jews don't permit adultery, so is America's anti-adultery stance in the past based on Judaism? I think not.

Hindus abhor killing and violence, so is America's anti-violence and murder statutes based on Hindu principles? I think not.

Once again until it sinks in your head and pushes out the lies of Robertson, Falwell and their ilk:

America was NOT founded on ANY Christian principles.

None. Nada. Zilch. Nichego.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It wasn't really founded on any religious principles. Actually, some of the forefathers specifically stated that basing a government on religion is a terrible idea i.e. we have separation of church and state. The reason for that probably had to do with the way things were ran in Britain. However, God is mentioned in some state constitutions and some of the forefathers mentioned God and that the U.S. is a Christian nation which in some sense it was because pretty much everyone was Christian.

• 1 decade ago

A prominent writer, describing the rise of the United States, speaks of "the mystery of her coming forth from vacancy," and says: "Like a silent seed we grew into empire."--G. A. Townsend, The New World Compared With the Old, page 462. A European journal in 1850 spoke of the United States as a wonderful empire, which was "emerging," and "amid the silence of the earth daily adding to its power and pride." --The Dublin Nation. Edward Everett, in an oration on the Pilgrim founders of this nation, said: "Did they look for a retired spot, inoffensive for its obscurity, and safe in its remoteness, where the little church of Leyden might enjoy the freedom of conscience? Behold the mighty regions over which, in peaceful conquest, they have borne the banners of the cross!"--Speech delivered at Plymouth, Massachusetts, Dec. 22, 1824, page 11.

• 1 decade ago

John Locke's belief in the "natural rights". Life, Liberty, and Property.

Property was replaced with "Pursuit of Happiness", though, because many of the founders were owners of large parcels of land and didn't want to give them up.

Most importantly, though, with the natural rights is the belief that those are the things that cannot be taken away by the government (arbitrarily, extenuating circumstances may change that) because they are given by God.

And, as opposed to popular belief, more than half of the founding fathers were involved in Christian theology be it clergy or study work.

Another interesting little tidbit: the idea of "separation of church and state" never appeared in the Constitution, yet Supreme Court Judges who are supposed to interprete said document have judged using this term far too many times. Even had the term appeared in the constitution, it had a completely different meaning. It was referring originally to the idea of not having a forced state religion that was taxpayer funded (like the Anglican Church).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • brence
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Underlying techniques of Christendom and maximum different religions are very comparable. The founding fathers, despite if Christian or not, have been all men of theory. So returned on your question: "So why then do people nonetheless think of that the form is predicated of Christian ideals and accordingly the US is predicated of Christian morals?" the respond is that the form is predicated on the comparable techniques held by utilizing followers of Christ. despite if the writers meant for it to be so is yet another question all mutually.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Go Here: http://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/document/inde...

And read the entire thing all the way through. You'll get an idea that our founding fathers may not have been Christians, as you know it today- but they DID believe in a God.

• 1 decade ago

None, they were a diverse enough group, that did not want to be told want to believe. So they compromised and agreed to leave the theistic crap out.

Provide evidence to contrary.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

None that I know of. Our society uses a lot the Greek democracy. This is not a christian nation like a lot of people like to think.

• 1 decade ago

None. Most founding fathers were not Christian.

• 1 decade ago

Look up Deist. Most of our founding fathers were Deists. Not Christian.

Source(s): www.religioustolerance.org
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.