what was soo wrong about joe horn's cell phone touchdown celebration? why was it a problem? what did it mean?

Favorite Answer

Going back to the 1980s, the NFL placed a ban on TD celebrations that were "choreographed or orchestrated". The cause for this rule was the Washington Redskins infamous "Fun Bunch" celebration. Whenever a Redskin scored a touchdown, about 10 players would all run into the end zone. They would form a circle facing each other and then execute a choreographed high five. It was cute the first couple of times because it was spontaneous. But it became more and more of an issue as the season progressed because it became longer and longer. It really did distract from the game itself.

As a result, the NFL adopted new anti-celebration rules. Only the scored of the touchdown was allowed to celebrate. (for example, if TJ Houshmenzadeh were to River Dance next to Chad Johnson, he would get an excessive celebration flag). "Choreographed" TD celebrations were banned while on the field of play. (That is why Ickey Woods always did the "Ickey Shuffle" along the sidelines instead of in the end zone) And pre-planned TD celebrations would be considered excessive and unsportsmanlike. This is where Joe Horn's case arises. He planted the cell phone on the goal post before the game. He had planned the "celebration" well in advance and had placed props on the field of play to enable his "show". Then he made the call while still in the end zone. By comparison, TOs Sharpie. The Sharpie was actually on TOs body and he signed the ball while off the field.

The rules really are pretty clear cut. They aren't that hard to follow. And in Joe Horn's case it wasn't "I'm so happy I scored, look at me celebrate". It was "Ok, I scored so everyone is looking at me. Now look at this clever skit I planned." There is a line there, and he crossed it.

The answers you are getting here are silly. Most people don't like the celebrations in the NFL but, most of them never even played football so they should shut the trap. I personally don't think it was a big deal or a problem. Its guys like Ocho Cinco that put on a HOF coat after a TD that cross the line. If you want to dance, throw the ball into the stands do whatever celebrate and have fun. The NFL is a game lets keep that in mind.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): soo wrong joe horn 39 cell phone touchdown celebration problem mean: https://shortly.im/PS8vI

The only problem , that the NFL cannot allow , is the use of a prop that was placed on the field before the game began. This cannot and should not be condoned by the NFL . All the other celebrations I think are great but the two in particular (Horn - cell phone & Owens - Sharpie) have to be against the rules. I wish they would lighten up on the rules against celebrating and let the guys have fun , but allowing them to plant their own props could get dangerous so it has to be a punishable offense.

Nothing. It shouldn't have been a problem, and it didn't mean anything. This is the same thing I've been saying about Chad Johnson, Moss, and TO for as long as I can remember. What the f*** is wrong about celebrating? Who cares how the guy celebrates, it doesn't matter. Anyone who cares is being a pussbag

• subham

Joe Horn Cell Phone

These players are suppose to be professionals. Horn's cell phone antics were bush league, unprofessional, and something one would expect in a local amatuer league. The NFLs excessive celebration rule is a good one and could even be stricter.

Its all about ego and getting your face on sportscenter. But I do think its bush league to make a scene for doing your job, act like you've been there before. Celebrate with your team but get over yourself. He or any other WR didn't throw the ball to himself, didn't block the defense or make the play action so you could get open. In a nut shell it means he is a complete ego case that needs extra attention.

The NFL probably thought he was flashing a gang-sign and overreacted....LOL.

It was an issue because he used props and drew a lot of attention to himself and the NFL doesn't like it when individual players draw attention to themselves.

I thought it was clever, but I think the problem people had with it is that they felt that he was arrogant enough to assume before the game started that he was going to score a TD.