Do the Swiss Guards in Vatican City have a function other than a ceremonial role?

Favorite Answer

Yes.

The Swiss Guard actually are Swiss and do protect the Pope.

The Swiss Guard celebrated their 500th anniversary of protecting the pope in 2006.

Here is the oath of the Swiss Guard:

"I swear I will faithfully, loyally and honourably serve the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II and his legitimate successors, and also dedicate myself to them with all my strength, sacrificing if necessary also my life to defend them. I assume this same commitment with regard to the Sacred College of Cardinals whenever the See is vacant.

Furthermore I promise to the Commanding Captain and my other superiors, respect, fidelity and obedience. This I swear! May God and our Holy Patrons assist me!"

For more information, see: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/swiss_guard/inde...

With love in Christ.

Yes they Protect the Pope

Here's Some Links

www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/swiss.htm - Cached

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10971994/from/RSS - 50k - Cached

As pope changes, Swiss Guard stays the same - Nightly

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7604130 - Cached

Pope's Swiss Guards mark 500-year mission - The Boston Globe

... to mark the half-millennium of the Swiss Guards, who are still in charge... ceremonial guard duty, assist at Vatican functions, and help protect the pope. ...

swissinfo - swiss news and information platform about Switzerland, ... to Rome by Pope Julius II - the warrior Pope - in 1506 to protect him and the Vatican. ...

swissinfo.org/eng/front/detail/... - Cached

The pope has swiss guards, because the Vatican keeps all that money tucked away in swiss bank accounts.

Yes, they are the security personnel of the vatican.

They receive the same formal training as other security personnel all around the world (including training in modern firearms)

The only difference is, that they, in contrast to "normal" security personnel, also have to do ceremonial duties that demand of them to wear medieval armor and weapons.