Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

im scared for my dog?

she just turned one year old on june 18th, and she is a Shih Tzu.

I've noticed over the past month or so that whenever i lightly run my fingers over her paws, even lightly, she tries to make me stop, by licking me then by biting. i thought maybe she was ticklish, so i put just a little bit more pressure on her, and she got up and walked to the other side of the bed.

i just gave her a bath, and i was holding one of her paws in a towel, and i was putting pressure on it to get as much water out as i can, and she started whining. she does need her nails trimmed, but they arent very long. i looked inbetween her toes to see if anything was stuck in there, and nope. nothing.

she whined with every paw i did.

im going to talk to my mom tonight about going to the vet tomorrow, but im still scared. she is my baby!

so, do you know what this could be?

and she isnt overweight, neither. she is only 16 pounds.

shes always been fine with me touching her paws, so its not that cuz i give her massages, light massages, and she loves it when i touch her paws, idk why she is doing this, and she pulls it away in pain u know?

Favorite Answer

Has she been outside on hot concrete much lately? It is possible her paw pads are a little burnt, if you live somewhere extremely hot.

Here is some info:

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogpawprotection.h...

Best of luck to you :)

• Aluka

My dog does basically the same thing when I touch her paws. She pulls and licks my fingers. If you don't let go though she'll squeal and whine like you burned her, when really I know it doesn't hurt at all. She just doesn't like having her paws held or touched for long periods of time.

But if this is a very new thing, like if she used to let you touch her paws without any problems, and now she's suddenly very sensitive, you should probably take her to the vet. There's probably something wrong.

Dogs are very sensitive about their paws. It could be nothing at all and that your dog is just very uptight about people touching it's paws. I've known a dog who absolutely hated getting his paws wet. It also could be some sort of irritation on the paw. My dog has recently gone to the vet for a small rash on his paw that he kept licking. We found out it was an infection that was treated with simple antibiotics twice a day. He's fine now.

It's good that you are very watchful of your dog, it shows that you care. But try not to think of everything as a problem, it could be just how your dog is.

Since she's so young and small, I doubt it's arthritis. Some dog's just really don't like their paws touched. There may be an ingrown nail of some sort or something wrong with her foot bones. I'm sure it's fixable.

Well, my dog acts like this sometimes. The paws are a very sensitive part of a dog's body so when you put pressure on it, it hurts.

Maybe her paw is hurt because of something before and she's scared if it would hurt again. It happened to my cousin's dog once. He escaped and was offleash. A car hit him on the back and whenever I touched it he gets mad and moves away.

Hope that'll help.

It is a good idea to take her to a vet to make sure she is in good health. However, it sounds more like you both need to enroll in an obedience class to learn how to socialize your dog to being touched, having others touch her, and some basic obedience commands, such as coming when called. Since she is starting to bite you, you need to do this as soon as possible to get the direction you need

my dog doesnt like it when i touch her paws but you should take it to the vet just in case

some dogs get really upset with that, it might not hurt at all, but there isn't enough information to know for sure.

call a vet or an expert.