Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

I want to convert to Islam but my friends and family my reject me, what should I do?

I am 16 and have wanted to convert to Islam for three years now. Ever since I had developed my interest for Islam, I have studied almost every aspect of it, and I know almost everything there is to know about it. I have even read the Koran. I feel as though I am ready to convert more than ever, but a part of me feels as though I should not. It's not that I have any doubts about converting to Islam, it's just that I know once I do, I will eventually have to tell my family, who I know will not apporve. I cannot help but feel upset in some way, because of the reaction of my friends and family, and that they may not accept me for who I am. Islam is waht makes me happy though. What should I do? For those of who have converted to Islam, when did you know the time was right for you to convert, and how did you tell your friends and family?

• Habib
    Best Answer

I am a born Muslim however a few words of advise might help.

It is interesting to notice that you have already through with the necessary like knowing about the religion of your interest & where your heart feels contended.

Since you have read well then I trust you must be able to make good comparision between the religion of your family members & the religion of your liking. Hence I would advise you to open up the topic with your family in the fairest manner possible. Try speaking about Islam with them & offer your reasons for it's liking.

This will help in breaking the ice. Moreover, it will euphimistically inform them about your likeness & bent towards Islam.

But it all depends if there is a family tradition of appreciating discussions & exchange of ideas, if not then you can choose a family member who is most closest to you by informing him/her what you are about to embrace Islam.

Remember, Prophet Abraham was having a father, family, friends and a social setup that were idolaters in religious practices but the Truth never stoped him from being in the bad-books.

So it all depends--- but doing it in the right fashion is all that counts.

As for friends, they are not concerned about your faith, a friend is just a friend.

Source(s): a Maverick

U should do what your heart tells u....

In this case....

U should accept Islam.............

U r not the only one....

Here is the C.I.A report.........

The Worlds Major Religions Changes

Growth rates taken between

World Almanac and Book of Facts, 1935

and Readers Digest Almanac and Yearbook 1983

In the last half century...

Confucianism & Taoism decrease 13%

350,600,000

305,000,000

Judaism decrease 4%

15,630,000

15,000,000

Christianity increase 47%

682,400,000

1,000,000,000

Eastern Orthodox decrease 36%

144,000,000

092,000,000

Protestant increase 57%

206,900,000

324,000,000

Catholic increase 70%

331,500,000

565,000,000

Buddhism increase 63%

150,180,000

245,000,000

Hinduism increase 117%

230,150,000

500,000,000

Shintoism increase 152%

25,000,000

63,000,000

Islam increase 235%

209,020,000

700,000,000

Islam is the Fastest Growing Religion on Earth

Surah Fussilat:

"Soon We will show them our signs in the (farthest) regions (of the earth),

and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth.

Is it not enough that thy Lord doth witness all things?"

[Al-Quran 41:53]

"It is He who has sent His Messenger with the guidance and the religion of truth, so that He may make it victorious over all other religions, even though the disbelievers detest it"

(Surah As-Saff 61:9)

Source(s): If U have any Misconceptions.... ANY!!! I am here to help...............

God help you on this and make things easy for you inshallah for your positive intension, i can only suggest. Since you have studied Islam you'd have learned "Believe and Faith in God". If you really have then, just ask God from the bottom of your heart to show you the way out and make things easy for you. Believe me you will get it inshallah. By asking suggestions you might get few points but you didnt ask God to show you the way i hope you are understanding. This is the phase where you are being examined that how sincere you are with your believe because you are being tested by GOD. Accepting Islam is not easy its a big thing and implementing Islam is even harder but you are getting ready for it, i can see this. I am saying this on behalf of your three years thoughts and keen interest towards Islam,otherwise you'd have left it already.

i think u should convert nd God will help u , and wil make everything easy for u ,

it is ur choice , try to explain to them politely it depends more on the way u say it and the way u argue with them,u will need to be knowledgable about islam so that u can answer their questions and the misconceptions about it and to be persuasive anyways,... i hope u convert :)

the least thing u can do is to convert secretly and practice it so too and when the right time comes u can tell them all..

and i recommend u to visit ur local mosque an d talk with ur imam or something...

best of luck dear,

Source(s): hope that video helps: new muslims and non musl parents"AMUST SEEEEE VIDEO" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qZDOE6h0E new muslim corner: http://discover.islamway.com/bindex.php?section=al... behaving like a muslim: http://ww1.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Art... stories of new muslims: http://www.islamreligion.com/category/63/ advice for new mus;ims: http://www.islamfortoday.com/ummzaid03.htm

hello brother, i am a convet of about 3-4 weeks now! well firstly let me tell you coming into islam would be a great decision! it was for me! and i think i know where youre coming from, i expected my parents and some friends to be really un accepting, well my father is quite accepting of it alhamdulilaah (Praise to God) but my mother most certainly isnt although she did take it better than i thought and inshaAllah (God willing) with time she will accept me :)

You see i was looking into Islam for about 2 years ish and then i got to a point where i believed 2 things, number one there is a God, there is Allah, number 2 Muhhamed (pbuh) is his messenger, as i am sure you know brother this is the shahadah, but i didnt say it, i knew it was true but i felt unready to enter islam for similr reasons to you, but then i realised, i know the truth! and i am rejecting it, please dont reject it bro, have faith in God that he will make things easy for you, and that what isnt so easy you will learn from and ain more reward for struggling inshaAllah.

Bro i want you to take my email abdullah_tyler@hotmail.co.uk, speak to me any time via email or msn and i will chat to you as a new revert. :) Hope this helps bro, take care, as salaamu alaykum

to be a man, in Islam, U most be 18. At that time, U can be on ur own. but u can still pray as a muslim5 ties a day. U should also respect Ur parents though they are not muslims. obey them and follow them on what ever they need from U. but when they enjoy U to associate partner to Allah, do not obey them. relate to them in a polite manner.

LIfe is short. You never know when the angle of death will come to you, and leave you no time to revert to the only true faith of all prophets from Adam to Mohammad, "to surrender one's will to God", i,e Islam.

Once you know all about islam's truth, choice is yours, hold it or drop it.

Be a reason to show light to your family if you truly love them and don't want to see them in pain in life after death. Be sure you know answers of all the questions. And if you don't, write to me to make you double sure, will help as much as I can.

If you love Jesus (pbuh), follow his first commandment. God is One. Without any partners. If you Love Moses (pbuh), follow him, God is one, without any partners. and hold on to the last testiment which has never changed, not even one word of it since it was revealved to final messenger of God, "Mohammad" peace be upon him. All Ibrahimic religions say the same thing. Go for it, and don't let devil stop you.

Listen honey, do what you want. Do not EVER let anyone try to run your life for you or tell you what to do. I think it's great that you've studied it thoroughly, and if it makes you happy, then go for it! My boyfriend is Muslim and lets his parents run his life (and he's almost 21 years old!). I know one day he will regret it. Don't let that happen to you. Peace.

Awww, This is great!

I suggest you wait until you're 18.

A friend of mine was in the same situation as you are right now, and when he told his parents, they said if he turned Muslim, they would kick him out of the house.

Good luck and may Allah help you !

Salam,

Dont worry about what your parents think worry about what Allah thinks . You should convert. itll save your soul