How do I recover accidentally formatted files on an external hard drive?

I was re-installing windows the other day (my computer crashed and so I had to do a complete re-installation) and I accidentally formatted/deleted the partion on my external hard drive. I desperately need that data back, and a quick Google search found some programs that have found all my data, but I have to pay to... show more I was re-installing windows the other day (my computer crashed and so I had to do a complete re-installation) and I accidentally formatted/deleted the partion on my external hard drive. I desperately need that data back, and a quick Google search found some programs that have found all my data, but I have to pay to actually get the data back. Is there anyother way to get my data back?
Update: Well I downloaded the trial edition of Recover My Files, and it found ALL of my files, but I can't access them because i need to buy it. I was wondering if there are any free alternatives to this, other than PC Inspector File Recovery, which cannot seem to find the files.