fong asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

How many college credits are required for Pfc rank in the Marine corps?

I already had a contract saying that i will enter as E-1, but i have like 30 college units/cred, and wonder if that will get me to Pfc before bootcamp. Thank you if u can help.

Favorite Answer

Wow, there are a lot of people answering that have no clue what they are talking about. When I joined the Marine Corps it was 12 credit hours to be promoted to PFC upon graduation of boot camp.

During training, everyone is a Recruit. Try getting a letter addressed to Private Your Name and see what happens. You aren't a Private at that point. Privates have demonstrated that they can graduate boot camp.

Being a PFC really only puts you a few months ahead of the Privates, as they will be promoted soon after they graduate. In the Corps, being a PFC is essentially the same as being a Private. You will be treated like a Private. You really only start to see a big difference in treatment when you become a Corporal.

My advice to you is to hound your recruiter about getting E-2 in your contract. Your recruiter just thinks of you as another number, and you will probably never see him or her again. Make sure it is taken care of before you leave. Your recruiter is not going to do it on his own.

Source(s): USMC Enlisted 03-07

Pfc Rank

The first 3 ranks are automatic unless you screw up. After you reach E-3, after a while you rate a cutting score. That score is made up of your PFT, your rifle range score and several other things. You job will have a score that is required to be promoted and if you meet it when it comes out, then you get promoted. As you move on to higher ranks it is a lot of the same of what I just described and more politics come into play. There are some instances where if you do good in a combat environment, then you will be promoted or recommended for promotion and there are also meritorious boards you can be sent to if your command feels you are squared away and deserve more rank

• Yes, given that you have sent your recruiter your official transcripts (your Cumulative GPA must be a 2.33 or higher) and the paperwork was filled out, then you will be paid as a PFC during boot camp and graduate as a PFC.

When I went to MEPS last month they told me it was 12 credits that give you an extra rank. But you don't get to PFC until you graduate boot camp. Everyone is a private in boot camp.

They probably will although you have done nothing to earn E-2 ! How they can promise rank to someone who hasn't proven that he is capable of being a Marine is putting the cart before the horse !

You better have enough college credits that enables you to earn a bachelor degree, (for those who don't want the Commissioned Officer career) otherwise, you have nothing that will allow you quick advancement in rank after boot camp.

• R K

rank is uaually given out in relation to your performance as you go throughh training not how much schooling you had on the outside. any prior military experience might get you a higher rank to start but other than that if you don't rise to the next ranks requirements you don't advance. i would have thought you would bring up your education when you sigined up or it would have come up in conversation somewhere

ok well i have no idea where you heard that, but my brother is in the marines and he was a pfc from him being in ROTC in highschool, good luck but you enter as a private right as you enlist =) good luck hope this helped

Source(s): future women marine, and sister of a marine =)

if you can get your transcripts in before you ship out you will start out as an E2 ....i want to say its 15... you have more then enough..

I have over 122 college credits....i also have two BA degrees, and im going Marines Intell!

Best wishes!