what is the legal age in NJ to get tattooed WITH parental consent?

im 15 and my dad just got a tattoo it is gorgeous. and he told me whenever i was ready he would bring me to the tattoo place he went to get one =]

he lives in new jersey and the place is called first place tattoos.

i want a very small tattoo on my right hip.

he agreed to it but we are not sure of the age and if i am too young or not.

i heard some people get them at 14 but im not sure.

the tattoo parlor is on vacation right now so we cannot ask them.

what is the legal age to get a tattoo in new jersey with parental consent?

and dont tell me not to do it or will i be proud of it 50yrs from now.

tell u what i wnt be alive 50yrs from now and seriously.. who IS proud of a tattoo when there old?

i also have over 20 piercings and yes i am proud of all of them.

so shut up if u dnt hav anything decent to say

Favorite Answer

NJ is one of those places with very few tattoo laws. The only thing on the books is as follows:

2C:40-21.

Tattooing and body piercing of minors

A person commits a disorderly persons offense if he knowingly tattoos or engages in body piercing of a minor under the age of 18 years without first having obtained the written permission of the minor's parent or legal guardian or, if neither exists, a person who stands in place of a parent.

Basically this means that with a parent there is no minimum age, and without you need to be no minimum age.

That being said there are many tattoo parlors out there that will still refuse to tattoo you at any age under 18.

Any parlor willing to tattoo you under 16, or without parental consent if you are under 18 are places you need to keep far away from.

Generally before the age of 16 (and some times even after) your body is still growing, and if a tattoo is done then it has a chance of moving, warping, and basically changing into something other than you want.

I also suggest you think before you get inked, as the saying goes. You don't want to get a tattoo and a month, or even a few years later find that you hate it. Tattoo removal is painful, expensive, and will leave a scar. If you can’t keep the idea in your head (or better a picture somewhere you can see everyday) for a minium of 6 months to a year and still love it then there is no point in getting the tattoo. More time won’t hurt anything, once the process is done your stuck with the design for the rest of your life.

All that aside I do indeed know people in their 60s and a few older who are quite proud of their tattoos still. I've had the honor of meeting someone that got her first tattoo at the age of 80. Your final comment makes me wonder if your honestly mature enough to deal with the consequences of your actions as your unwilling to look into the future to how your tattoo will effect you (and it will: from your career, to the way your significant other's mother may look at you, and beyond)

I’m also surprised any parlor was willing to give someone of your age any piercings other than ear piercings as they are even more likely to move, as well as reject as a child’s body matures and grows.

• Joanne

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avdIW

I have lived in NJ for almost 40 years and I recently asked my tattoo artist the same question. If your friend is 16 and has parental consent she can get a tattoo. You will want to contact the shop in advance however as the shop I go to requires the parent to be present during the tattoo process. A reputable shop will be happy to answer all of questions.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

he agreed to it but we are not sure...

Source(s): legal age nj tattooed parental consent: https://biturl.im/AAfsb

18

talk to the tattoo artist at the place. some people wont do it for anyone under 18 even if they have parental consent, but others will do it w/ parental consent.

also, about the "old" thing. my mom is 35 (not old, but older. lol) and she still loves her tattoos. she has 4 (one she got a few months ago) and she even has a band logo tattoo that she loves still.

Source(s): 20 piercings is awesome i only have one =]

New Jersey Tattoo Laws

17-18

in the states you have to be 18

18 years this is standard, this is the age of " consentent ", no matter what state you live in. it's the drinking age that's usually around 21yrs .

Source(s): Tattoo artist.

u have to be 18 unless u know the tattoo artist and he is willing to do it on u even thu u are underage