Dog Person asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it ok to sedate my 14 yr old dog for a rdtrip....6.5 hr for two days. (13 hrs)? He has cnjstve hrt failr?

I have a 14 year old PBGV who has conjestive heart failure and a murmer. We are afraid of boarding him while we are on vacation.....so we are thinking of bringing him with us, on the car ride......6.5 hrs/day for 2 days. Can we sedate him for the ride (benadryl??), or would that not be safe...

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A petite basset griffon vedeen. They are beautiful dogs! As many people are saying here, you should contact the vet.

You worry about giving them any sort of depressant medication because they can have negative affects on cardiopulmonary function. Your pooch is already compromised so adding to it could have serious even fatal consequences.

If your dog is not used to traveling with you, then he could be very stressed during the trip. He probably does get this way, other wise you wouldn't be asking about sedation. Even with a mild tranquilizer, he could still be stressed.

By adding a tranq. and going on the trip you have added a cardiac depressant, stress to an already stressed heart and lets not forget the heat. See where I'm going here?

Now, all that being said, the vet may see no problem in you doing this. You and the vet know your dog the best.

See what they have to say and go from there.

Best of luck, hope everything works out and your boy is fine. Have a great vacation!

Source(s): vet tech 12 yrs.
  • 1 decade ago

Benadryl is unsafe for someone (a person or animal)who has congestive heart failure. I wouldn't do it. It contains "diphenhydramine" which can cause heart palpitations. Your dog's heart is already slowed down and to slow it down more is not wise. It could possibly cause cardiac arrest.

Note: Even if a Vet okays it, it still might not be a good idea. Doctors give the okay for things and it ends up disasterous. Usually what is good to do, is to ask the Vet what the side effects might be of a certain drug, and also look up the drug's adverse effects online, then you can make an informed decision.

• miaugh
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This is a question that only your vet can answer. Hopefully you've had some bloodwork done lately on him. Your vet may have medication that is safer, or if he prefers the benadryl, will tell you the exact dosage to give him. Nobody here can tell you what is OK, especially with a dog that age & in that condition. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Your vet is the best person to ask. You should never medicate a dog with a chronic illness without consulting with your vet. (a telephone call should suffice).

If you have boarded the dog before, and he has been comfortable there, and the kennel will take him, I think that would be better than have him inactive in a car for that length of time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ANTM
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

lol I dont think a dog w/heart prob should have ANY meds that will slow the heart rate that could lead to something WAY serious! Ask your vet if your seriously thinking about it but DONT DO IT w/out talking to your vet unless you want to risk loosing your dog over a stupid decision! If he's that old he should be ok for the ride anyways he'll prob just sleep alot, he'll need potty breaks but thats it..If he's 14 just let him sleep dont worry about sedating him! My verdict...dont sedate...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its fine my 8 week old is coming to me for a 7hr trip to a beach and a hotel and it allows pets but we would have to pay 45 dollars more but we took are chances and got a reservashion for the dog too its safe totally just make some pit stops bring all the important stuff if your going on a beach ask the life guard about any bad things in the water like jelly fish easly get dogs also keep an eye on ur dog i might not take mines because she could get lost and i would never see her again so im going to south padre near mexico so she would never see me again either i take chances

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if i where you i'd find a babysitter, i'd not risk doping such a sick old dog, some dogs when old and sick and the owners put them down, they sleep in from just the sedation before the vet can give the euthesia.

So if your dog havent been trained before on driving care undruged, this is not the time to start cardrive training, find someone who can watch him if you cant bring him undruged.

our dogs never been druged in car, so i'd have brougth ours undruged, but if he aint used to it the stress can be a preasure on him, and as said an elderly sick dog is not the best one to start unesicarily experimenting with doping.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My dog always needed to be sedated whenever we traveled or whenever there were really bad thunderstorms.

Ask your vet what drugs you should use though and follow ALL the directions they give you.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Benadryl (dyphenhydramine) is a very safe Rx to give 1mg. per lb. of body weight, however you should contact your veterinarian. Only he/she knows the health of your little PBGV and what current Rx's he/she is already taking and is safe to take with the Benadryl.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

That's really something you should ask your vet about. Just give your vets office a call and tell them what your situation is. They will be able to give you the best advice!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.