Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

How do i get my stubborn three year old to use the potty?

My daughter is 3 1/2 years old. I have been trying for months now to get her to use the potty and she refuses. The days end in her crying and screaming give me back my diapers. I have tried potty charts with stickers to bribing her with a new toy. We have tried pull ups to underwear she doesnt care if she is wet. I put her on the potty with a book to read and she will sit there for sometimes 30 minutes and then get up and pee. I need ideas from parents on how they did it with their kids.

Favorite Answer

My daughter only wanted to use a REAL toilet but she did not want any help. "I want to do it all by myself." I researched and found a very safe and very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so she could hold on without touching the toilet with her hands. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She climbed right up and was very relaxed about using it. She potty trained right away. This stool made the difference for her. Well worth it. Hope this helps.

I also put toilet paper over the water to stop splashes and help her feel more comfortable.

I have a 4 year old boy, that still resists the potty sometimes. Its terrible, but at one point we used Ring Pops as Bribery for pooping. It worked well. My husband lets him "choose something" to do when he uses the potty. Like going for a bike ride, swimming, etc. It really is tuff and every kid is different. With my older son, it was the tablets that change the toilet water a different color that got him to use the potty. Good luck!