if i employ someone as an independent contractor why I can not have their TFN and should use their ABN number?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if you want to have someone work for you as an independent contractor he will need to have an abn,as he will be sub-contracting to you,for them to use there tfn they will be working for you and not for themself,you will have to pay super and all that other stuff,abn is better for both parties.

Source(s): bricklayer with three contractors working for me on abn
  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

From all of the questions you've asked on here and the variation in the answers you've received, you are VERY foolish if you don't consult an accountant. You need guaranteed accurate information that is specific to your situation. You also need a one on one discussion of points on which you are unclear. Believe me, it will be money well spent!

To answer your question, in the case you've outlined, an ABN is preferable to getting their TFN as it's far simpler, but you really should be getting professional advice. It will save you a great many expensive problems in the future.

• Bardy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Unless you employ them directly there is no need for you to have their TFN. If they are contractors then they are not employees. You do need their ABN to pay them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

def get their abn. just use them as a contractor, just make sure you check that their abn is for real. go to www.abr.gov.au

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Talk to an accountant. The advice you will get here is worth every cent you pay for it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.