How to fix my windows movie maker?

My windows movie maker always freezes and shuts down after importing few music or pictures, and i cant finish any kind of videos im editing. Whats wrong? I want to fix it so badly >.<

Favorite Answer

I found this fix on the Microsoft Knowledge website and it worked for me...I was having the same problem. I hope it works...

Windows Movie Maker 2 unexpectedly quits after you add a title, a video transition, or a video effect

View products that this article applies to.

Article ID : 836021

Last Review : February 16, 2004

Revision : 1.0

RESOLUTION

Rename the Divxaf.ax file

Lower the hardware acceleration setting

STATUS

SYMPTOMS

Windows Movie Maker 2 may unexpectedly quit after you add a title, a video transition, or a video effect to a movie that you created.

CAUSE

This problem may occur if you have the DivX Antifreeze filter (Divxaf.ax) installed on your computer, or if the hardware acceleration settings on your computer are set too high.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

If the Divxaf.ax file is installed on your computer, rename it. If the issue persists, lower the hardware acceleration settings on your computer.

Back to the top

Rename the Divxaf.ax file

To rename the Divxaf.ax file on your computer, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Search....

2. Click All Files and Folders, type Divxaf.ax in the All or part of the file name box, and then click Search.

3. If Search finds the file, right-click the file in the right pane, click Rename, and then rename the file to Divxaf.old.

4. Start Windows Movie Maker 2, and then add a title, a video transition, or a video effect to your movie again.

Note When you rename the video filter file, you may affect other video programs that use the Divxaf.ax filter.

Back to the top

Lower the hardware acceleration setting

To lower the hardware acceleration settings on your computer, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.

2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.

3. Click the Troubleshoot tab.

4. Move the Hardware acceleration slider toward None to lower the hardware acceleration settings.

5. Start Windows Movie Maker 2, and then try to add a title, a video transition, or a video effect to your movie again.

Note If you lower your hardware acceleration settings, you may not be able to take a picture from the preview monitor in Windows Movie Maker 2.

Back to the top