Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Do I need to use a ground wire for my light switch?

In my failed attempt to switch the wires in my updated wall switches, I have killed my fan. I believe my wiring is finally correct but I read the box and it said "this device must be grounded". The original wiring did not have a ground wire and I do not have loose/ extra wires in the box.

Do I need to make a new ground wire from a wire being used in another switch in order for this to work?

Does it have to have a ground wire if one was not used in the first place?

I'm installing a 3 way switch. I have 2 red wires and 1 white wire (the combo in question).

Favorite Answer

did you install a new fan or switch? if a switch, just wire it back up and dont worry, the fan is probably grounded in the junction box, and unless your house is newer then you won't have ground wires in other switches, its just that codes change. you'd have to do A LOT of work to ground it... he ground wouldn't come with the switch device, you'd have to supply it. in short i really wouldn't worry about it, you'd probably have to run the ground to the panel for it to be a true ground. if you're really unsure call a pro..

Source(s): my dad owns an electrical contracting co and i worked for him for years.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

In my failed attempt to switch the wires in my updated wall switches, I have killed my fan. I believe my wiring is finally correct but I read the box and it said "this device must be grounded". The original wiring did not have a ground wire and I do not have loose/ extra wires in the...

Source(s): ground wire light switch: https://shortly.im/ISqVs

Not sure what you are doing , but here are a few places to have a look to see if we are on the same level. Your ' ground ' wire runs from the Green screw on the switch to a ground screw on the box or housing the switch sits in. Most switches are grounded from the fact that they are mounted to the receptacle box anyway.

• D2

IF YOUR HOUSE IS EARTH GROUNDED

YOU SHOULD BE FINE. IF IT IS NOT TAKE A PIECE OF COPPER WIRE10GA. WILL DO , PYT A WALL ANCHOR ON YOUR HOUSE OUTSIDE THEN USE A PC. OF REBARB 3 FT LONG YOU CAN GET AT ANY HRDWRE STORE AND DRIVE IT IN THE GROUND ATTACH THE WIRE AND YOU ARE NOW EARTH GROUNDED.

Put a ground from the fan to the box your hanging the fan from it'll be fine

no .... if you dont have a ground then put it to the white wire which is a ground also

This is scary!