Do I need to use a ground wire for my light switch?

In my failed attempt to switch the wires in my updated wall switches, I have killed my fan. I believe my wiring is finally correct but I read the box and it said "this device must be grounded". The original wiring did not have a ground wire and I do not have loose/ extra wires in the box. Do I need to... show more In my failed attempt to switch the wires in my updated wall switches, I have killed my fan. I believe my wiring is finally correct but I read the box and it said "this device must be grounded". The original wiring did not have a ground wire and I do not have loose/ extra wires in the box.

Do I need to make a new ground wire from a wire being used in another switch in order for this to work?

Does it have to have a ground wire if one was not used in the first place?
Update: I'm installing a 3 way switch. I have 2 red wires and 1 white wire (the combo in question).