Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

TB test reaction questions?

Im a 16 year old female and yesterday got my first TB shot as im going to be volunteering in a hospital. After a while the bump was completly gone and I couldn't find the site hardly at all well its past 24 hours now and theres a small red raised bump and im wondering will this go away again like before or is this a possible positive reaction? Thanks for your guys help

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They should have given you a little card with raised bumps to tell you when and what kind of medical action to take.

How is it used?

The TB skin test is not used as a general population screen but is used to screen particular populations at high-risk for TB exposure, such as: those with diseases or conditions that weaken their immune systems, such as those with HIV or AIDS, that make them more vulnerable to a TB infection;

those who are in confined living conditions such as nursing homes, schools, and correctional facilities; healthcare workers and others whose occupations bring them in close contact with those who may have active TB; those who have been in close contact with someone who has an active case of TB; those who come from or have lived for a period of time in a foreign country where TB may be more common. The TB skin test is also used sometimes as part of a routine examination prior to starting school or a new job. Since mothers can pass TB to their unborn children, pregnant women are sometimes screened.

The TB skin test is used to help diagnose latent TB infection or active disease. If your doctor suspects that you have active tuberculosis, other tests, such as chest X-rays and AFB cultures, are used to confirm the diagnosis.

When is it ordered?

TB skin tests are ordered when the doctor wants to screen his patient for a exposure to TB. The TB skin test may be done yearly in those that are part of a high-risk group - either because they have a disease that weakens their immune system or because they work or live around others in high-risk groups. TB skin tests are frequently done prior to a person joining an at-risk population, such as going to college or becoming a teacher or health care worker.

Since TB is airborne and passed through respiratory secretions, TB skin tests may be ordered when someone has been in close contact with a patient who has an active case of TB or when they have been in a foreign country where TB is more common. This would be done a few weeks after suspected exposure as it usually takes about 6 weeks after contact and initial infection before a positive result would emerge.

TB skin tests should not be done when a person has had a previous positive reaction as they are more likely to have a severe local reaction.

What does the test result mean?

A healthcare worker will interpret your test results by looking at the injection site on your forearm at 48 or 72 hours (in most cases). A positive result will form a red and swollen circle at the site of the injection. The size (diameter) of the swollen raised circle determines whether exposure to TB has occurred. The size that is considered positive varies with the health status and age of the individual. Even when infected, children, the elderly, and patients who are severely immune compromised (such as those with AIDS) may have smaller, delayed, or even negative reactions to the TB skin test.

Negative results may mean that you have not been exposed to TB, that your immune system has not responded to the test, or that it is too early to detect exposure. It takes about 6 weeks after infection before a person demonstrates a positive reaction to the PPD. If your doctor wants to confirm a negative result, he may repeat the TB skin test, or in some cases, perform another type of test called QuantiFERON® - TB Gold test (QFT-G).

Positive results may be due to a latent or active TB infection, or occasionally due to a false positive. Positive results may also be seen in those who have received a BCG (Bacille Calmette-Guérin) vaccination. BCG is a vaccine that is not used in the United States but is often routinely administered in other countries that have a higher incidence of TB.

Positive results must be followed up by other tests such as chest X-rays to look for signs of active TB disease. If active TB disease is suspected, AFB cultures may be used to confirm the diagnosis.

Is there anything else I should know?

Once you have had a positive TB skin test, it is not necessary to have another one the next time there is a question of your exposure to TB. Your PPD reaction will usually remain positive, and the skin reaction to subsequent TB skin tests may become increasingly severe.

A negative TB skin test may cause mild itching or discomfort at the injection site. You may not respond to a TB skin test (even if you have TB) if you have had a recent viral infection, a "live" vaccine (such as measles, mumps, chickenpox, influenza), or if you have overwhelming tuberculosis, another bacterial infection, or are taking immune suppressive drugs such as corticosteroids.

• hern
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Tb Test Reaction

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

TB test reaction questions?

Im a 16 year old female and yesterday got my first TB shot as im going to be volunteering in a hospital. After a while the bump was completly gone and I couldn't find the site hardly at all well its past 24 hours now and theres a small red raised bump and im wondering will this go away again...

Source(s): tb test reaction questions: https://tinyurl.im/hYCgi
  • 1 decade ago

A small raised area is normal. Normally, there will still be a flat/minorly raised red area at the injection site. I have had them get around nickel size and still be a negative reaction. An abnormal reaction raises significantly and makes a half dollar sized red circle that is raised quite noticeably above your arm and is firm when felt. Don't worry even if you do test positive this doesn't mean you have it. This can be a false positive or you may have been exposed in the past and once you have been exposed you will always test positive. Redness doesn't matter. In medical terms, significant blistering or 15mm or more raised is considered positive.

Source(s): dental hygienist/ mom is a nurse
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Hope this is help for you, a woman I worked with at a nursing home had the tb test and it came back positive but the resulting redness, rash and pussiness was simply an allergic reaction to the metal they used to administer the test. She didn't have TB at all!

• 1 decade ago

It could be a positive reaction but don't freak out, You can be a TB carrier for years without actually having TB. I was a carrier for years and actually did have a bout with TB about 14 years ago. I treated myself with thyme essential oil and now test negatively even though I have had TB. So don't worry, if it is positive. They will just do a chest xray to see how your lungs are and they are probably fine. TB out breaks are very severe when they happen so you will know if anything is really wrong. Been there and am fine now. Aloha

• 1 decade ago

If its really small, its probably the injection site. Only when it is larger than a dime and raised it means you have been exposed. Only a chest x-ray can positively reveal if you have active tuberculosis or lung scarring from exposure. Im sure it is nothing to worry about. Go back in 3 days and have it read by a professional.

• if you were born outside the country theres a possibility that you might have gotten a vaccination that left a scar on your arm a little bit down from the shoulders and it will prove a positive reaction

if not and the bump gets more than 15 millimeters in width then you got a positive reaction

the bump usually appears later and might have nothing to do with a positive reaction unless it grows to about the size of a quarter

i got the same test done and i got a positive reaction (they give you a chest x-ray if you are positive to make sure you chest is clear and if your chest is not clear you will get isolated and have to take meds for about 6-9 months, very unlikely that you have it)

• 1 decade ago

Don't worry, the bump should normally disappear because this means that the tuberculin, medicine used for the exam, is absorbed. This is normal. The results are read after two to three days, when there is swelling or allergy-looking elevations on the site of injection, this simpy means you are exposed to tuberculosis but not actually having tuberculosis. When this is what you get, you will have to undergo series of tuberculosis-specific laboratory examinations in order to determine if you actually have tuberculosis.

Basically, you are PERFECTLY fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.