can someone recommend me good books?

I'm having trouble finding more good books to read...although I do love browsing at the bookstore. Here are some books I adore:

Lolita

Laughter in the Dark

Wuthering Heights

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Seven Types of Ambiguity

based on my reading taste, could you tell me some of your favorites that I might be interested in? I love narrative prose and thought-provoking texts. I've read a few books by Nabakov (author of Lolita) and enjoy his writing style immensely.

Please, no Twilight or any of that teenage crap. I hate it. Thanks.

for all of you Twilight fans who got mad at me for "dissing" it...I really don't care. This question is regarding MY taste in literature, not yours. So go cry in your emo corner somewhere, and find something useful to do with your time. Twilight is so dispensable you can't even compare it to Wuthering Heights, Lolita...or any other masterpieces of literature. In fact, it's not even literature. It's kitsch. Sorry.

also, I realize that Jane Austen is a great writer...but I could just never get into her books. Call it a matter of personal taste; I just can't. Thanks though.

thanks Katie, I actually have read many of Picoult's books, including the two you mentioned. She is a great novelist and I definitely agree with your high estimation of her. :)

Favorite Answer

fahrenhiet 451 - ray bradbury

to kill a mockingbird - harper lee

of mice and men - steinbeck

ender's game, speaker for the dead, xenocide - orson scott card

the davinci code - dan brown

the giver - lois lowry

anna karenina - tolstoy

sophie's world - jostein gaarder

the vampire chronicles - anne rice

obsidian butterfly - laurel k hamilton

angry moon - terrill - lanford

oliver twist - dickens

the picture of dorian gray - oscar wilde

a midsummer night's dream, hamlet, julius caesar, much ado about nothing, and romeo and juliet - shakespeare

wicked, son of a witch - gregory maguire

the golden compass, the subtle knife, the amber spyglass - phillip pullman

thinner - stephen king

the dollanganger series - vc andrews

a million little peices - james fray

burned - ellen hopkins

and that last one is somewhat of a teen novel, but it's written in prose and it's beautiful.

and harry potter.

the first two are kids books, but the rest aren't.

i promise.

=]

Source(s): my brizzain

Of the books you listed I've only read Wuthering Heights, but if you like sad gothic stories like that I recommend checking out Edgar Allan Poe's short stories. They tend to be rather dramatic, but they're quite interesting.

A Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde, very dark but deep.

Give Jane Austen a try if you've not already.

I love how the Twilight fans, instead of proving they've read other books, are just using this as an opportunity to complain. They probably only entered this thread to recommend Twilight and are now mad that their ONE book recommendation cannot be used :p

I think our tastes are somewhat similar. I recommend John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns, and Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

a definite Slant of light - Laura Whitcomb A Kiss In Time, Beastly, Cloaked - Alex Finn Anna wearing Blood - Blake Blood and Chocolate - Annette Klause service of the Mark - Fallon dark Lover – Ward Falling under - Gwen Hayes Grave Mercy - LaFevers Haven - Kristi prepare dinner Sea Witch - Kantra Sookie Stackhouse series - Charlaine Harris Vampire Academy – Mead

These are some really good books that I've read and thoroughly enjoyed:

-the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud*****

-the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Coffer*

-The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen(any book by her)

-Hawksong(series) by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes(any book by her)

-The Shannara series by Terry Brooks*****

-Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

-Watership Down by Richard Adams

-Great Expectations by Charles Dickens*

-Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter

-The Counte of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas*

-The Princess Bride by William Goldman*

-Discworld series by Terry Pratchet*****

*s are the ones I really REALLY recommend for anyone to read, and the ones with five *s are the best books I've ever read in my life!!!!

You have to read Jodi Picoult books and im sure, just like everyone else you will enjoy the titles "My sister's Keeper" & "The Pact" - they are excellent pieces of writting.

Also, a favourite, also becoming a movie next year - "Angels & Demons" - Dan Brown. I just finished it and it was excellent! One of the best books i've read so far.

Good luck!

Source(s): My library
  • Emmie

Jane Austen books and at least show some respect to Twilight fans, even if you don't like them doesn't mean there crap.

The Forsyte Saga... Victorian England soap opera, highly addicting

I'm sure you've probably read Gone With the Wind, but if you haven't, than read it.

of cours jane oustan's books ,her books are fab ,i'm onley 16 years old and i like her books so much.

:O twilight is NOT teenage crap thank you very much. the least you could do is b nice and unsderstanding about people's tastes in books or else how r we supposed 2 help u?? tsk tsk (usually i sign my answers w/ a smiley faces but this made me so dissapointend in u the best i can give u is this (-_-)