Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How do you make chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar?

We are wanting to make chocolate chip cookies but realized we have no brown sugar. Does anyone know how to make them without the brown sugar?

• ?
    Best Answer

Sugar makes several contributions to a cookie's structure and texture. Each type of sugar adds its own special contribution. Brown sugar adds a little extra moisture to make the cookie moist and chewy, helps the cookie spread a little, plus adds the slight caramel flavor.

Every substitution will make the cookie or whatever you are baking, a little different. For the difference, just using white sugar will be okay. Just this one time won't kill anyone. ;-)

1

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Cookbook - http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?OFiA

2

Source(s): Cure Diabetes At Home : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?PIzd

It will have a different taste and somewhat different texture with white sugar. But not necessarily bad. If you have any molasses, you can use a tablespoon of that to compensate. I think that makes a better taste, anyway. What you might consider is doing a sugar cookie that just so happens to have a few chocolate chips in it. Follow a sugar cookie recipe.

You can substitute white sugar. Personally, I prefer subsituting honey. It gives the cookies an amazing flavor. I periodically get bored at home and try to make desserts out of whatever I have in my cabinets (in-home mystery basket, if you will). I once made chocolate chip cookies using orange blossom honey instead of brown sugar. My husband took them to work and they were a big hit. Add an extra 1/4 - 1/2 cup of flour. The consistency should be firm but slightly sticky.

Make sure you bake off a test cookie before you bake the whole batch. If the cookie spreads too much, add more flour.

Source(s): I'm a pastry chef.

Do this recipe;

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Makes 6 to 8 batches of cookies.

8 c. all purpose flour

4 1/2 c. sugar

1 1/2 tsp. soda

3 c. vegetable shortening

1 tablespoon of milk

1 cup of chocolate chips

1/2 cups of nuts (optional)

Make balls put non-stick cooking spray or butter and bake it at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

HOPE U LIKE THEM!!!

Or you could buy on the market a package of betty crocker mix to make chocolate chips you just have to add eggs, vegetable oil... ect...

Source(s): Cooks.com

Use plain old sugar instead. Brown sugar is just sugar with molasses added. It adds flavor but you won't miss it in those cookies. Add a little (just a little) molasses if you have some.

You would need to make them into chocolate, chocolate chip cookies. ALMOST double your measure of white sugar and also add 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder to the batter with your dry ingredients.

OR you could substitute the brown sugar with molasses, but the taste would be much different.

light brown sugar

Substitutes: 2/3 C dark brown sugar + 1/3 C granulated sugar

OR turbinado sugar

dark brown sugar

Substitutes: 1 C light brown sugar + 1 tablespoon molasses

OR 1 C granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons molasses

The word fruits has different meanings depending on context.