learning french and spanish at the same time?

i've been learning spanish for 2 years and i'm in spain as an exchange student. my spanish is at the intermediate - advanced level and i can speak and understand when people speak to me and most of the time when two people are having a convo. i want to become fluent in the next 1-2.5 years.

in my house, there are two other french exchange students and i like the sound of french. i want to learn french fluently someday, maybe in the next 3 - 7 years.

i already know the BASIC BASICS of french like bonjour, j'mapelle,au revoir and other basic words, but i haven't started learning the alphabet, numbers, or conjugation.

would it be a good idea to start learning french? i already have a pretty good base with spanish and i dont think i would confuse them TOO much. do you recommend that i start learning french? i'm 16 and i think it would be a lot easier because i have heard that as you get older you start to lose the ability to learn languages faster...so what should i do?

Favorite Answer

I took Spanish in middle school for 2 years and then when I went to high school I took Spanish 3 and French 1. Then I took Spanish 4 and French 2 the next year, etc. until I graduated.

When I got to college, I tested out of Spanish and French and got into the advance classes. It allowed to add another major because I had extra time. While I was in college, I got a lot of jobs that kids my age would not normally get. I worked at the a science institute that wanted me to retype scientific documents that were sent over the wire. I was paid a lot just because. I knew French. I teach and have an on line foreign business with my 19 year old daughter who is fluent in Japanese and Spanish. She started taking both in h.s. My son took Spanish and French and works for a fast food chain in their corporate office as head of their foreign language development section. So go for it!!!!!!!!! Congrats!! Let me know how it turns out.

1

Source(s): Learn Spanish Online http://enle.info/SpanishLanguageLessons
  • Stacy

Don't start a new language until you're fairly comfortable with the one you're currently learning, especially if both languages are from the same language family. If you learn both at the same time and you're not fluent in one you WILL end up mixing them. French and Spanish are both romance languages so they are quite similar. If you can trust yourself enough in Spanish then this will work to your advantage and french will become easier when you decide to learn it. So it all depends on how well you know spanish/ Is it enough so you won't mix them up...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i've been learning spanish for 2 years and i'm in spain as an exchange student. my spanish is at the intermediate - advanced level and i can speak and understand when people speak to me and most of the time when two people are having a convo. i want to become fluent in the next 1-2.5...

Source(s): learning french spanish time: https://biturl.im/ei3Pa

yes you can start learning french now.

french and spanish are both latin languages and contrary to what ppl tell you about mixing them up because they are so close, you will learn french quicker and understand written french better because you already speak spanish another latin based language. actually same goes for italian and portuguese, you would have an easier time learning them. but not romanian as although it is latin based language also, it is easternized and very different. i am telling you this form experience: i spoke russian from birth then as an adult liked the sound of polish language and wanted to learn it. as you know both russian and polish are slavic languages and actually for me it was much easier to understand and remember the meaning of words since most of them had a root with russian and meant the same or almost the same thing.

bonne chance a toi et oui je crois que c'est possible d'apprendre le francais en meme temps.

I took French, Portuguese, Latin, Spanish, and Italian all at the same time. they are all romance languages and are very easy to understand if you know one already. so if you would like to learn French while Learning Spanish... I say go for it. it's not really that hard.

Source(s): oh and that dude told you yes and use Rosetta Stone to learn french

Well they are both latin based languages and I feel sure that you are already far enough advanced in Spanish for it not to be a problem.

Where I live languages are germanic and the population here learn languages very well. Quite a lot of the population are fluent in at least three languages.

Do you want to make finding out Spanish funny? Then you should try this program from right here https://tr.im/ptYAg one of the languages of Rocket Languages.

The dialogues and lessons from this program are presented in a humorous and interesting way and as opposed to Rocket’s competitors; they don’t use a cookie cutter method (in other words the content is exclusive).

Members from Rocket Languages have access to a learner’s forum for the specified language as properly as a common forum for everyone. This is a good function to have since it allows individuals to ask for clarification and engage with one yet another particularly considering that native speakers are actively moderating the forum.

Rocket Languages is the greatest on-line program of Spanish.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awxIw

French is easier if you have even that bit of Spanish background, so I'm sure you'll do fine. And you won't get the two confused because they're pretty different.

Go for it! Once you start learing French youll see that French and Spanish are extremely similar languages and I guarantee that will make it easier on your part. Best of luck!