- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2, water with an extra oxygen (O) not O2. The (O) is very unstable & can react with any thing to form oxides.
In medical field its very useful to clean instruments covered with blood. In dental, it kills anaerobic bacteria in the periodontal pockets.
- 1 decade ago
Hydrogen peroxide isn't a very good first aid choice. Ambulances and hospitals don't use it anymore.
The foaming action is due to a reaction with an enzyme cells contain called catalase. When you have a cut or scrape, there is a lot of catalase to react to.
[For those who care, the reaction between catalase and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) turns the peroxide into water (H2O) and oxygen (O2). The bubbles are from the formation of O2.]
That reaction destroys cell walls -- in bacteria AND white blood cells; it doesn't discriminate. Which means if you have an open sore, you're preventing it from healing and may increase scarring.
Side note: You can cause H2O2 to bubble on a potato, too.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
It's an unstable compound H 2 O 2 used as an oxidizing and bleaching agent, an antiseptic, and a propellant
- alliecatLv 41 decade ago
its a compound element.