What is discrete math?

Is discrete math a higher or lower level than advanced analysis 2?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Discrete math is essentially math dealing with integers, or "discrete" quanitites. Combinatorics and graph theory fall under the category of discrete math.

It's hard to say whether it's "higher" or "lower"; I've had both an undergrad class and a graduate class titled "Discete Math". Discrete math classes start off very fun and easy, but like any math class they can get complicated real fast, so don't take it too lightly. It has lots of incredible applications though.

This page lets you browse through a number of discrete math ideas:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/topics/DiscreteMathem...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I had to take discrete math first, at my college it was considered lower level then analysis. But yeah, it seems simple at first but gets more complicated as you get through the course.

• 5 years ago

Discrete mathematics is the branch of mathematics dealing with objects that can assume only distinct, separated values. The term "discrete mathematics" is therefore used in contrast with "continuous mathematics," which is the branch of mathematics dealing with objects that can vary smoothly (and which includes, for example, calculus). Whereas discrete objects can often be characterized by integers, continuous objects require real numbers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.