What causes penile bleeding in infant boys?

My 7 wk old infant son was circumcised at birth and he healed well but I've just seen some bleeding on his diaper - around his penile area. The bleeding isn't much but I'm not sure it should be there at all. There is no bruising. He doesn't seem to be in pain. What could this be?

Favorite Answer

You really need to talk to his doctor. I mean really

This can happen even after circumcision. After the initial circumcision there can be a small amount of scabbing that can break off and bleed. In addition, there is also the possibility that if the skin is not pulled back fully and does so on its own, it can potentially tear ever so slightly, just enough to cause a fine amount of bleeding.

Examine the skin around his penis, see if the skin is free to be pulled back fully. You should be able to find the source of the bleeding. You may have to put just a small amount of Neosporin around the area for it to heal.

Hope all goes well.

I guy I work with has a simliar problem. When he was boarn his bladder never fully developed. No one really noticed for a couple of years and he had to threw a surgey. He is in his 20s now but every now and then he will have blood in his urine. Im not sure if this causes him much pain, but he wont be at work for awhile. When he was younger he also had to wear depends because of his week bladder. In either case there shouldnt be any blood, and you should get your little boy checked out.

The circumsision would be my guess. My sister and cousin both had the same thing with their boys. Like little spots of blood from time to time for about 12 wks after birth. My boys aren't cut so I didn't see any of htat with them.

Probably a complication of the circumcision. But it could be something else. either way you should see a doctor.

Circumcision isn't a natural thing to do - that is probably what is causing him problems.

If you have another boy don't circumcise him.

why on earth would you ask on here instead of calling baby's doctor????????????? do u really believe that we are all medical drs with this much free time and we just come here to give free medical advice???sorry , it just amazes me at what ppl do sometimes..

I have no idea. That should not be happening. I would see the doctor ASAP.

It can be any number of things.... i suggest you take your baby to his doctor... a good website is webmd.com... hope he gets better soon!

Um, he's bleeding because you had his penis cut.