What is a good historical fiction book to read?

I'm looking for a good book to read and I really enjoy historical fiction books. Could you help me out?

Best Answer

Any specific time period that you are looking for???

Some of my favorite historical fiction novels are:

*The Red Tend by Anita Diamant- this takes place in biblical times and it is about Jacob's only daughter, Dinah. This is a marvelous book and I would totally recommend it

* Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen- this takes place during present day and in the 1930's. It is about an old man remembering his days in a traveling circus. Really amazing.

*I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing up in the Holocaust by Livia Bitton-Jackson- Okay, this is actually an autobiography about a Holocaust survivor. It reads like fiction though and it is one of my favorite books!! It's very sad though, and disturbing in some parts.

I agree with Bud, Not Buddy, Number the Stars, Pillars of the Earth, In My Hands, Memoirs of a Holocaust Rescuer. Here are some more.

Beyond the Western Sea, Avi

The Bloody Jack Series, by L.A. Meyer. Bloody Jack is really a girl. Orphaned in London at the end of the 1700's,

she lives with a street gang, then disguises herself as a boy and is hired onto a British Naval ship.

Great adventure, great characters, humor, suspense, great FUN.

Bloody Jack, L.A. Meyer

The Curse of the Blue Tattoo

Under the Jolly Roger

In the Belly of the Bloodhound

Mississippi Jack

Anything by the Collier Brothers or James Michener

Samuria Shortstop, Gratz

The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Speare

The Bronze Box, Speare

Harris & Me, Gary Paulsen

A Long Way from Chicago, Peck

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

The Historian is a 2005 novel by Elizabeth Kostova about a quest, reaching through the past five centuries, for the historical Vlad the Impaler.

• Cindy

Check out these for a quick-read: Kathryn Lasky's "Beyond the Burning Time" and "Blood Secret" Elizabeth George Speare's "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" If you have a little more time, these are great historical fiction reads: Matthew Pearl's "The Dante Club" and "The Poe Shadow" Tracy Chevalier's "Girl With a Pearl Earring" Tobsha Learner's "The Witch of Cologne"

"Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton is amazing. It's also a different type of historical fiction. "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe is an excellent read with so many dimensions to it. Happy reading!

Beloved by Toni Morrison.

The movie to the book is labeled as historical fiction too.

• deb

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Devil in the White City. Absolutely fabulous -- read it last summer, my father then read it and said it was the first book he'd stuck with in years. It's about the 1892 Chicago World's Fair -- how they built it, and while they were building it, this super-creepy serial killer set up shop in Chicago. So it's two intertwined stories, and very interesting. Enjoy!

The Land, by Mildred D. Taylor. I read it in junior high and still love it. It's for a younger audience, perhaps, but it is excellent.

The Book Thief is also quite good.