Will Phil Gramm's recent comments about Americans being whiners cost McCain the election?

His comments were completely inappropriate and offensive. Wasn't he involved in Enron?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

No it won't. But Bush/McCain= Ambush and that should be enough.

Yes- he was involved.

here is an excerpt to an article:

In an apparent response to a 1992 plea from Enron, Dr. Wendy Gramm, then chair of the federal Commodity Futures Trading Commission, moved to exempt the company's energy-swap operation from government oversight. By then, the Houston-based Enron was a major contributor to Senator Gramm's campaign.

A few days after she got the ball rolling on the exemption, Wendy Gramm resigned from the commission. Enron soon appointed her to its board of directors, where she served on the audit committee, which oversees the inner financial workings of the corporation. For this, the company paid her between $915,000 and $1.85 million in stocks and dividends, as much as $50,000 in annual salary, and $176,000 in attendance fees, according to a report by Public Citizen, a group that has relentlessly tracked Enron, which in turn has called the report unfair.

Meanwhile Enron had become Phil Gramm's largest corporate contributor—and according to Public Citizen, the largest across-the board donor in its industry. Between 1989 and 2001, the company tossed Gramm just under $100,000.

In 1998, Wendy Gramm cashed in her Enron stock for $276,912. There's nothing unusual about a Washington regulator quitting the government and going to work for a private company she was regulating. And people often get rich in the process. Wendy Gramm, whose office didn't return Voice calls, has told reporters she sold the stock expressly to avoid any hint of a conflict of interest.

But that's not the end of the story.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes it will cost him votes. Many voters believe that if you can not understand their situation, then you are not representing them.

He wasn't directly involved in Enron. His wife was a consultant to Enron. Phil Gramm sponsored the deregulation bill for the commodities market, which Enron used to drive up the price of electricity that they were buying and selling. Enron created a scheme to drive up higher prices for the product.

• 3 years ago

he's calling liberals a gaggle of whiners. I trust Phil Gramm. in case you do no longer trust that, nicely it particularly is how this is in politics. Obama has criticized McCain as nicely by using evaluating him to Bush. That became reported first. What is going around Comes around.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think that Phil Gram is really the Whiner -is there any thing more despicable than a rich man whining and complaining about money ? My opinion -he is so evil -yet I do not believe that he is totally conscious of it. We have sunk to the lowest common denominator of human thought rather then the higher conscious thought that Jesus taught of compassion. We the people voted these low greedy special interests into office and are now reaping the rewards of such derogatory actions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It was Phil Gramm who said this, not McCain. It will be long forgotten by November!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, and McCain was involved in the Lincoln Savings & Loan scandal that cost millions of people their life savings. Just do a search on "the Keating Five". When are people going to wake up? These people are nothing but crooks! They're so far removed from everyday life--they have no idea what the average American is enduring.

They want you to buy into another four years of this. No way!

• 1 decade ago

It could hurt him because he is McCain economics adviser. McCain doesn't know much about the economy (his words). The person advising him thinks everything is OK and the recession is all in our heads. I would say McCain has a problem.

• 1 decade ago

yes because Mccain and Phil Gramm are spoiled rich kids who were born with Golden Spoons in their mouths and really have never had a thing to whine about.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO to both questions. An if you don't think that whining is a problem just read the newspapers and read this board on a daily basis.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No it won't. If you watch the full interview you will see the context he used that line in. The media doesn't show that part. He followed that line by saying we don't need a leader who just talks, we need a leader who will act. Talking and whining will not solve our problems. Watch the full interview and you will see the truth. I actually agreed with him, when I watched the full video. Thankfully, most voters aren't first time who only listen to news headlines.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.