Confederate flag: heritage or hate?

You define the question.. come up with an answer.

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends. For some it's hate, for others it heritage. I have no hate and yet have a Confederate national flag. I don't fly it because it is not, now, my national flag. But I had ancestors who fought and died for this flag.

What I do think is rather humorous is the fact that those who seem so upset by the flying of a Confederate flag don't have enough education to recognize one if they saw one. Notice below the current Georgia state flag which was changed after many people got so upset by the LITTLE confederate flag in the corner. In response, the state of Georgia changed the ENTIRE flag to be the confederate flag and the protesters were happy. To me, this sort of ignorance on the part of the 'offended' speaks volumes.

Georgia state flag

http://www.cvsflags.com/images/states/georgiaLg.gi...

Confederate national flag

http://www.mrflag.com/media.php?file=1219

• 1 decade ago

To some it is heritage however the symbolism associated with the confederate flag has a symbol of racism, ideals that are not associated with a democracy. When our country may elect Senator Obama as the President of the United States this flag is nothing but a symbol of hate and division with in our country which is now united to oppose these symbols.

• 5 years ago

I see it as not hate but ignorance, the flag wasn't brought about till the 1970s the time when blacks fought for rights. Another thing I will add is that the confederate states didn't want rights or any of that nonsense they just wanted to hold onto their slaves.

• andy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Heritage of the good ole Southern boys who fought for States rights and lost.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Which Confederate Flag?

I for one am partial to the Stars and Bars. A true symbol of the heritage of the brave boys who died fighting for their Southern homeland.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Heritage. The Confederate Flag does not represent hate or bigotry at all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Heritage

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Both.... it is ones Heritage if they have family that gave their lives for the confederacy, while their message was indeed a hateful one. It does raise a good question though.... we need to act on the idea of how it would effect future generations to come... not a whole lot of solutions presented to our nation are long term ones, no matter how they want to sugar coat it

• 1 decade ago

the south that was united under that flag fought for the right to own people as property and keep black americans in subordination to whites. so i suppose that is the heritage that southerners would like to celebrate when they fly it.

• 1 decade ago

Heritage, definitely. Liberal Yankees try to make it something else, though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.