Confederate flag: heritage or hate?

You define the question.. come up with an answer.

Favorite Answer

Depends. For some it's hate, for others it heritage. I have no hate and yet have a Confederate national flag. I don't fly it because it is not, now, my national flag. But I had ancestors who fought and died for this flag.

What I do think is rather humorous is the fact that those who seem so upset by the flying of a Confederate flag don't have enough education to recognize one if they saw one. Notice below the current Georgia state flag which was changed after many people got so upset by the LITTLE confederate flag in the corner. In response, the state of Georgia changed the ENTIRE flag to be the confederate flag and the protesters were happy. To me, this sort of ignorance on the part of the 'offended' speaks volumes.

Georgia state flag

http://www.cvsflags.com/images/states/georgiaLg.gi...

Confederate national flag

http://www.mrflag.com/media.php?file=1219

To some it is heritage however the symbolism associated with the confederate flag has a symbol of racism, ideals that are not associated with a democracy. When our country may elect Senator Obama as the President of the United States this flag is nothing but a symbol of hate and division with in our country which is now united to oppose these symbols.

I see it as not hate but ignorance, the flag wasn't brought about till the 1970s the time when blacks fought for rights. Another thing I will add is that the confederate states didn't want rights or any of that nonsense they just wanted to hold onto their slaves.

• andy

Heritage of the good ole Southern boys who fought for States rights and lost.

Which Confederate Flag?

I for one am partial to the Stars and Bars. A true symbol of the heritage of the brave boys who died fighting for their Southern homeland.

Heritage. The Confederate Flag does not represent hate or bigotry at all.

Heritage

Both.... it is ones Heritage if they have family that gave their lives for the confederacy, while their message was indeed a hateful one. It does raise a good question though.... we need to act on the idea of how it would effect future generations to come... not a whole lot of solutions presented to our nation are long term ones, no matter how they want to sugar coat it

the south that was united under that flag fought for the right to own people as property and keep black americans in subordination to whites. so i suppose that is the heritage that southerners would like to celebrate when they fly it.

Heritage, definitely. Liberal Yankees try to make it something else, though.