are patients with a cirhosis liver doomed? Can you still get well with liver damage?

I'm very scared and would love to hear if anyone has experienced this type of thing.

Thank You!!

Favorite Answer

If it's due to alcohol, abstinence for EVER can still prevent doom and demise.

NO, You are not doomed. But yes you have to stop drinking. Why do you have Cirrhosis, that is another big question plus how old are you? The live can regenerate itself most of the time in less you have a liver problem like PSC or Hepatitis. Then someday you might need a transplant, but yes you could live a fully regular life after a transplant or could face computations?

There are a lot of questions if.. You can email me and I will answer as many questions you might have or try.. I have had 2 liver transplants and am doing well right now..

Depends on the cause and the severity. If caused by disease, it requires arresting the disease or the liver will just continue to worsen. If caused by long term drinking, prognosis is usually poor because someone drinking that long is unlikely to give it up entirely unless chained to a bedpost.

You can live a long time with liver cirrhosis since it depends on how quickly treatment occurs to stop further damage. I do not think that they can fix areas that are already damaged. My late relative lived about 10 years after diagnosis and actually died of a different cause.