Most important musical invention?

In your opinion, what do you think has been the most important musical invention created so far?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Electricity

I'm thinking plugging into those amps, but took it one step further. Interesting Q!

• Looking at the history of mankind I'll say The Song!

or maybe Drums, as prehistoric men used it to communicate...

If we stay strictly within the limits of the last millenia, I'l go for the acoustic guitar, as no instrument has had its influence and it being portable made it possible for one to be able to play great music easily anywhere...

• 1 decade ago

I'm a fan of beginnings so will say the concept of song/singing (using the natural vocal instrument). Manufactured instrument would have to be the drum, being first. All music comes from these.

• 1 decade ago

The Phonograph Cylinder by Edison in 1877.

It was the first device for recording and playback of analog music.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Human Ear and Rock (since if you trace metal back far enough, it has origins in rock/punk)

I can tell you that the WORST musical inventions are rap and hiphop... they wrecked all music

• Hawk M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Piano

The one instrument that incorporates almost all ranges,

bass, rhythm, melody, lead,

You can do more with a piano, than any other single instrument.

In modern music, it would probably be the amplifier, which has transformed music since the 1940's.

• 1 decade ago

Synthesizers. They put music to a whole new level. It lifts the sounds, in my opinion.

Great question!

Edit: I've thought of the most important one of all time..one's voice. Whoever thought of making melodies using vocal chords has got to be a genius! :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Surround Sound.

If you have heard the Dark Side of The Moon SACD so loud it will peel you face off you and so clean you hear things never have before you would learn to appreciate the importance of surround sound.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Guitar

• Most artist disagree but I'll say Napster. It turned a lot of people on to music they may have never heard.

• Deke
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The radio. Not an instrument, but certainly instrumental in the distribution of music.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.