How do you define the "far" right, or "far" left??

Does it have to do with ideaology, or the manner in which they handle people with which they disagree??

I consider myself a conservative, libertarian (low taxes, lower spending, no welfare, no corporate welfare, strict interpretation of the Constitution, anti death penalty, anti abortion, etc.) Yet I do NOT consider my postings (or at least 98% of them) to be insulting, demeaning, or hateful??

Is it the hate, or the ideaology, that pushes one the the "far" reaches of the spectrum??

Sorry to be so long winded!

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

it's a complicated question, but it basically has to do with political and economic ideology.

economically, people on the mainstream right are generally in favor of less government intrusion on capitalism and people on the mainstream left are generally in favor of countering the excesses of capitalism due to an interest in the welfare of individuals. far right economically is unbridled capitalism whereas far left economically would either be government control of the means of production or more distributed networks of economic production that are non-capitalistic.

politically, far right would be fascism with government control over all aspects of human endeavor. far left in a political sense would be anarchy with total individual freedom.

mainstream american conservatives are more to the right on economics and are experiencing some internal opposition politically with conservative christians favoring more oversight of individual actions (right) and libertarians favoring more individual freedoms (left.) mainstream american democrats are slightly left economically and politically.

btw commenter carbonator is really confused. if his scale represented reality then the nazis wouldn't have been enemies of communists (which they were) and franco's army would have allied with communists in spain instead of fighting against them. communists and fascists have been enemies as long as the labels have existed.

Good question.

I'd say it's attitude though traditionally it's probably pure ideology. I believe when you practice totalitarian tactics and policies you're far left or far right. I say tactics because someone doesn't necessarily have to have control of a nation to show their totalitarian character in my view.

I also believe politically moderate people can hate or be hateful, the middle is not always under all circumstances the place of virtue. History has many examples where moderates weren't really admirable at all. Afterall the middle is defined by the poles, if one pole is pro genocide for example and the other not the middle can still be a morally corrupt position as in tolerant of genocide

Source(s): Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. ... Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." -- Barry Morris Goldwater

Both the far left and far right are tiny minorities.

The problem is that the media treats them like they are mainstream.

Controversy and hate sells!

Neoconservatism today is the far right. This was not the case 30 years or more ago.

Rush Limbaugh - Right

Senator Obama - Left

Far left thinks capitalism and US government are evil and must be destroyed.

Far right thinks far left and communism are evil and must be destroyed.

I think of it as tinfoiler land. The rights's militia types, and the left's anarchists are the examples I'd give.

Fascism (Far Right) and Communism (Far Left)

I just want to know how you are a libertarian and anti-choice.

Anarchism is far right (no government)

Fascism and communism is far left (big/central government)

<-- left right --> (obviously)

Communism - Fascism - Socialism - Liberalism - Conservatism - Libertarianism - Anarchism

My scale is thus based on government size.