Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Does "mentally challenged" and "mentally retarded" have the same meaning?

Do they both have different meanings? Are they synonyms? Or do they have both the same meaning, just written differently? Also, is "mentally retarded" usually considered as a slang in front of patients?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes, their meaning is the same. But consider: what image comes to your mind if, in describing someone, I call them "retarded" or "a retard"? And then what comes to mind when I describe that same person as "challenged"? You form different impressions for each description - and I suspect you'd agree you would hold a "retard" in far less favor than someone who is "challenged". When talking about people who fall into that category it is always correct to use the less pejorative term.

• beas
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Mentally Challenged Definition

• Sophia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/QIYTU

I am a special education teacher in Michigan. I suggest looking up the definitions in the DSM-IV manual. Unless your child was diagnosed by doctors as being cognitively impaired (new name for mentally retarded) then she will not be labeled that. The term mentally retarded should not be used anymore. The name was changed under IDEA 97. I think it was an addendum. She is most likely developmentally delayed and all that means is that she is behind other students her age with reaching certain milestones at certain times. With early intervention at a young age, she could catch up to same age kids. If they are treating her like a child with cognitive impairments, then she isn't being taught like she should be. She should have high expectations put on her. Also, if she is labeled, she needs an IEP. Within an IEP there are goals and objectives that both the teachers and parents have to agree upon. Those goals and objectives are specific focus areas that the teachers should be focusing on. There are also accomodations and modifications that would be in there that would follow her until she doesn't need them. Like visual schedules, number lines, reading tests out loud...etc. In any case, you can get an advocate from any organization to help you out. YOu can then file due process if the school district is not willing to work with you. As a parent you have a right to a trial if they are not following the law. Go to the Americans with Disabilities Act website and you can find people to talk to there and get an advocate. Research away. They should not be treating your daughter like that.

• 4 years ago

Mental retardation usually indicates that an individual has an IQ less than 70. Developmental delay indicates that a child is making progress at a slower rate. Meaning for example a 5 year old is funcitoning at a 3 year old level in various domains. Some professionals feel the term Developmentally delayed is a softer term. It is rare that children receive the MR diagnosis anymore. Usually is coexists with another disorder (i.e., autism, Cerebral palsy, etc.) Some kids with developmental delays do well with early intervention and special education and may begin to function more age appropriately. If your daughter's IQ is lower than 70 and you feel she needs to be retested then request a re-evaluation. IQ's don't always remain static and some people do make some gains on their performance. I hope this helps.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does "mentally challenged" and "mentally retarded" have the same meaning?

Do they both have different meanings? Are they synonyms? Or do they have both the same meaning, just written differently? Also, is "mentally retarded" usually considered as a slang in front of patients?

Source(s): quot mentally challenged quot quot mentally retarded quot meaning: https://biturl.im/P0rsB
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yup, they mean the same. It's just 'mentally challenged' is now the accepted or politically correct term. Mentally retarted used to be used all the time decades ago.

• 1 decade ago

mentally challenged is the politically correct way of saying mentally retarded.

• 1 decade ago

yes, but mentally challenged is i guess a nicer way of saying mentally retarded

• 1 decade ago

i think so but mentally challenged is just a nicer way to say for some people.

• 1 decade ago

They are totally the same and totally DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!

No...mentally retarted is a class beside itself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.