Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

what is the legal age limit to buy a lighter in california?

hi i want to get a lighter (zippo to be exact) and i need to know what the legal age limit is to buy it in california. and if you guys found your answer on a website please give me the link. and if it is like 18 or something can you guys give me some things to say that might get him/her to sell it to me please

thanks

Favorite Answer

Contrary to popular belief, there is no law in California restricting the age of someone buying a lighter. Go ahead and search the statutes. You won't find anything. Several of us here went through this 2 months ago when the issue came up.

The closest we came was a law that prohibited the sale of tobacco paraphernalia to minors, but when we checked the text we found that the law didn't include lighters as tobacco paraphernalia. Rolling papers, pipes, and filters made the list, but lighters did not. There simply is no current law outlawing the sale of lighters to minors.

There's a catch, however. Just because it is legal does not mean that a store is required to sell them to minors. Most stores will not sell lighters to minors for fear of liability concerns should the minor end up hurting themselves or others. So you can legally buy a lighter as a minor in California, but you might have trouble finding someone that is willing to do so.

BTW, there are always people shocked by this answer, so if you are a non-believer, I offer you this challenge: Post the statute that you think outlaws the sale of lighters to a minor. I'll post the link to every CA state statute, code, and regulation. Knock yourself out.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Note to Superman: Once again, this gets back to the fact that these are unpublished opinions and not, as of present, established case law. I don't doubt that they will become published at some point, but until they are it's not an established law. (This is going to boil down to semantics like last time again, isn't it?)

BTW, as long as we're playing semantics, how about the lighters for which no one could argue are tobacco paraphernalia, such as those bulky fireplace lighters or grill starters? I'd love to see them try to argue before a court that a one foot long BBQ grill lighter is tobacco paraphernalia. Also, there is the issue of matches.

Something some people never learn and if a young person can learn early in life; it will help him all his life is this: learn discretion. How important is it? Do I need to do this? Will this cause problems? How will it affect me and/or others? Generally speaking, if you have a red flag, don't do it. It's a good rule of thumb. You have a red flag or you would not be asking on Answers. But I applaud you for asking on Answers; that shows maturity in itself. I suggest you don't try to buy a lighter especially because you are in California. California's laws are stringent. 'Nuff said. Get someone else to get it for you, if you really want it that badly.

Whitefang has given his beliefs on this question before, and has yet to provide a single case that excludes a lighter from Penal Code section 308. While I anticipate a published opinion toward this in the future, the unpublished decisions have found it unlawful. A minor in possession of a blue lighter was in possession of tobacco paraphernalia. (In re ALEX R., 5th Dist., September 6, 2007, F051342.) A minor in possession of a cigarette lighter was in violation of Pen. Code, § 308, subd. (b). (In re EDUARDO G., 5th Dist., September 15, 2006, F049655.)

*/End of Line.

Source(s): Personal knowledge, information, and belief. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200806...

I grew up in California ^.^

When my friends and I were in high school, we would go to Asian Marts to buy lighters because they never carded us (or at least they didn't in 2006, the year I turned 18). They're a good source if you have one in your area. If not, then pay someone who's 18 to get you one.

Good luck in all of your misdeeds!

Source(s): Former participant in teenage tom foolery ^.^

It is now 21

the legal age is 18,

i am a California resident,

it is not always enforced.

• josef

Buying Lighters

• 18, but theres always liquor stores that will illegally sell to minors if you really need one, you just have to look for one

Thank you for the answers EVERYONE xx

gotta be 18

if they ask act like u lookin' for it then act surprised while emptying your pockets. say you forgot it see wut he says. have some car keys.