introspect asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

did my therapist take a risk in seeing me?

I went to the same high school as his son, who is two years older than me, and who I had gotten to know a bit. I started seeing my therapist during my senior year in high school, after his son had already graduated and gone to college..did my therapist take a risk in agreeing to see me? also, is this something i should ask him about next session?

Favorite Answer

there is no risk what so ever. take care good luck

This is something that happens in rural areas all the time. I would bring it up, anything that bothers you about your relationship with your therapist should be discussed. Otherwise, you won't trust them and won't get the benefits of the counseling. On the face of it, i don't see any problem. It's not like his son is your best friend and you used to go over and watch football games with him and his therapist dad every weekend.

What risk? Your therapist knows she's not allowed to mention to her son that you are a client of hers. She'll maintain confidentiality.

If it will make you feel better, you should address this with your therapist, however you should also feel confident that he is a professional and it is in his code of conduct not to disclose his patients to anyone - including family. Maybe hearing that from him will comfort you - and you should be completely comfortable, otherwise it's not worth your time.

As long as she doesn't mention you to her son then she's fine .