Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How do I avoid someone who makes me feel sad?

Hello

So I have a friend, but she always makes me sad. Whenever she's in a sad mood, I am too (but about 5 times worse) because I care about her so much. I suffer with major depression, and when she talks about all these sad things happening to her....it really makes me want to go down the path of self-injury...again. I don't want to go down that path.

I don't like seeing her like this. I tried talking to her about it, but nothing changed. I tried talking again, still, nothing changed.

I'm not sure if my details make sense, so if you need clarification, just tell me. But how do I get away from this person who makes me feel so sad?

Favorite Answer

oh my word hun, i have a friend like that to. I want to help her anyway i can. But i know i have to step back from here and only help her when i know i'm stable eough to help her. ( my friend though, if i tell her something her's has to be like 10x wrose so that brings me down) I understand where you are coming from. I know it is hard, but you have to put up a bourindy. if you know it is not a good time for you then you need to tell her that. and stick your ground no changing. just let her know you are sorry and you are not in a good place to help right now. and i hope so understands hun. please hang in there.

You should talk to her again and explain clearly that you suffer from this illness and being around her isnt helping you get any better and she isnt making you happy at all. It will be hard but honesty is really the only way you're going to get around this situation...if she is understanding, she will change and your friendship will continue. if she reacts badly...as much as you care for her, you need to understand she's not helping you because she isnt understanding the situaion youre in yourself..so perhaps then it would be time to distance yourself from her and end the friendship, find someone who is a positive person and makes you happy when youre around them. It may be hard to do but it's the truth

is it only this one girl?or is it more then them?it sounds like u two are closer then friends.like u two hav been best frends for years.try to get her help.find her better friends that will make her happy and hopefully she wont be sad all the time.and then u get to keep her and not be sad for her.but if u cant then u have to leave her.if u care about somebody soo much that u would f*ck urself up for them then maybe u should get together or not see each other at all.or maybe just tell her that her storys are hurting u and ask if there is anybody else she can talk to

This is something very hard to learn! the expression,"company loves misery" is so true! you need to separate from here but help when she needs it and not be receptive to her pain. hope you can understand!