Roommate Abuses Dog? Need Advice.?

I moved in with someone who I thought was my friend a few months ago. He has a pit bull, and I have a black lab. He neglects the Pit Bull for days at a time and leaves. When he comes back and the dog is covered in its waste from not being let out to exercise, he beats it for making a mess in its cage. The dog... show more I moved in with someone who I thought was my friend a few months ago. He has a pit bull, and I have a black lab. He neglects the Pit Bull for days at a time and leaves. When he comes back and the dog is covered in its waste from not being let out to exercise, he beats it for making a mess in its cage. The dog spends about 97% of the day in its cage in the garage whining and beating on the cage. I try to let him out from time to time, but it is tough for me to get him to come back, and he is always covered in pee and jumps on my dog and on me. I am wondering if I notify animal control if I and my other roommates would be held responsible and would they take my dog. I don't want to lose my dog, and there is no reason why she should be taken from me as I take excellent care of her and she is always by my side. My roommates dog is so beaten that when you bend down to pet it, it pees on you even when it is inside. Whenever this happens, my roommate tortures his dog for its actions.
Update: What do I do? I can't live anymore with my slob of a roommate who tortures his dog. I just don't know what to do.
Update 2: I am also worried about the fact that the pit owner repeatedly reminds me and his other roommates that he has guns in the house whenever we say anything about trying to do something about how he treats his dog. We have no idea of where the guns are, and I just really feel unsafe about the whole issue.
Update 3: The only reason he ever really gives for having the dog is that he is going to stud the dog out. This is why i am so worried about what he will do to us if the dog is taken.
Update 4: It is difficult for me to move out because i am on the lease, and he is too. The lease cannot be changed unless all parties agree.