Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Do you think my shy almost two year old Sheltie could do agility?

I have two young Shelties. My female just turned two and is proving to be very promising at agility. She got two scores of 198 at her first two trials. She is very outgoing, energetic, intelligent, and quick. She is also very sweet. My male is also sweet but much more reserve. He is weary of new things like new people, places, and dogs. Because of this, I never took him to obedience and agility classes. I did teach him basic obedience at home though and he's mastered sit, down, come, and long stays. I tried to teach him to jump over a make-shift hurdle but he was a bit scared of it! I thought if I took him to watch a class with my female in it (they are best friends and play together all the time) that I could see if he is interested. Has anyone seen a shy dog do agility? I mean, he's not a total coward or anything. He is very affectionate and likes to be pet by new people after checking them out. And he's equally smart. Should I give it a shot with him?

Favorite Answer

By all means you should take him to agility class. I have three shelties, my female, now almost four will get her AKC MACH soon. I started her in agility BECAUSE she was shy. It gave her soooo much confidence. You have to work slow with a shy dog and don't rush them. Be sure they get on equipment when THEY are ready, not you or the rest of the class.

I also have a sheltie I rescued at one year old. He had been neglected and never socialized. He still has some issues and he still gets scared easily, but he competes at the Excellent level now. We use lots of great treats in training and he loves agility.

So, sign your guy up for a puppy class (even though my rescue was already a year old, I put him in puppy agility first, it was a great confidence booster) or beginner class. You've done this before, you already have a good sit, down, stay and recall. Go for it!

Source(s): owned by three shelties competing in AKC and USDAA agility, rescue volunteer

The first thing that you did wrong....don't take this personally...is that you pampered his fears. Especially because of his fears you should have taken him to classes and soclialized him. People do not realize how important that is!!! I appreciate that you taught him basic obedience at home and that is a GOOD thing. However, HE NEEDS TO GET OUT AND LEARN TO SOCIALIZE...otherwise he will never make a good Agility dog. IT IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH GIVING IT A SHOT.....BUT...I would first take him to an Obedience or Rally Obedience class where he can get used to all the other dogs around. It will also help with focus (particularly the Rally Obedience)....Then on to Agility classes...he needs the exposure!

Good luck to you...I am sure I just tries to answer the other question you asked. I hope I was able to be more helpful this time.

Source(s): Owner by 4 dogs (all have done Agility), Pro Groomer, Agility trainer

PLEASE do no longer tell me which you're making a seperate meal for him?! ok, a number of my concepts in this. a million) How long has he been doing this? babies at this age (2-7) like specific meals with the aid of fact their physique is telling them that they like it. So if it is in basic terms been one or 2 weeks, i easily does not hardship, in simple terms make optimistic that their is lettuce and tomatoes on the tacos, that form of element. 2) i comprehend y'all are no longer giving him candy while ever he needs it. candy in specific situations is great, all of us comprehend this, yet i comprehend you're no longer giving into temper tantrums. 3) Going lower back to the seperate meal: a baby of this age won't starve themself's. If he's that hungry, he will consume what's desperate infront of him, reguardless of if he needs it or no longer. babies have been in simple terms no longer built that way (to starve themself b/c they do no longer want the foodstuff, it truly is). no longer in basic terms this, yet once you're making that seperate meal, y'all have relenquished controll and enable him have it. And at 2, it truly is commencing youthful. So in line with timing and what y'all are doing approximately that's what truly concerns. do no longer supply into the candy, make optimistic that the foodstuff it truly is given is healthful, and that they father and mom act like father and mom. My 3 3 hundred and sixty 5 days previous does not want foodstuff each and all of the time! it is not that she's no longer hungry, yet that she would extremely have ice cream, or in spite of her fancy. So I tell her that if she's no longer likely to consume with us, and that's dinner, no longer the rest, then she may well be excused and take her plate to the counter. maximum situations while this occurs she'll come lower back to the table asserting that she is hungry and that i will enable her comprehend that her plate is on the counter the place she left it. If she does not come lower back, known at mattress time she'll ask if she ate dinner, and that i will tell her what occurred and that interior the morning she would have breakfast. Now i comprehend that he's youthful, however a similar element. "it truly is dinner. If he does not consume it, he does not consume." And y'all very would have him coming lower back to the table.